Tools - Graphics

A forum for the discussion and development of programs to assist working on or playing with the Vegastrike engine and data sets.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Tools - Graphics

Post by TBeholder »

There was an article on wiki, can't find it.

Anyway, a recently released GIMP plugin filters out low frequencies, allowing to make even and tileable textures easier.
Low Frequency Even. See the sample images on its page.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: Tools - Graphics

Post by klauss »

Very cool :D
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

Do it's means tileable texture can be use into VS engine ?
i think about station , maybe it will be better to use tileable texture instead of the uv textured island system
i can be an easy way to texture station and installation even if it's not the perfect way.
is maybe better to do what we can whit the amont of contributor still remain here......
Station can at list be owned textured later ...
What do you think?
in this case i still have plentry of ready texture set for those purpose , those sets was made for planet outside view generation 2d pics not in game and most are 1024/1024 or 512/512 size
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

The problem with tileable textures in VS is that they don't get along well with the advanced lighting techniques which need ambient occlussion and PRT maps.

To get both (tileable textures and PRT maps), for instance, we need two UV unwraps. Though artistically and technically plausible, the engine and file formats don't support two UV coordinate sets ATM.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

klauss wrote:The problem with tileable textures in VS is that they don't get along well with the advanced lighting techniques which need ambient occlussion and PRT maps.

To get both (tileable textures and PRT maps), for instance, we need two UV unwraps. Though artistically and technically plausible, the engine and file formats don't support two UV coordinate sets ATM.
Well, of course... easy tileables function is going to provide just raw material - before baking and all that stuff.

Aaand today our special guest is... DDS Cubemap Layers Generator.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
ronnielewis
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Post by ronnielewis »

Being a Graphic developer I never tried developing tileable textures and require an effective tutorial for the tool. Help is invited.