Tool to view models in current VS formats?

A forum for the discussion and development of programs to assist working on or playing with the Vegastrike engine and data sets.
Shark
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Tool to view models in current VS formats?

Post by Shark »

Is there a recommended tool for loading/testing what a model will look like in the game that works from a local repository using current VS data formats and naming schemes?

Or a suggested workflow using other software?

I'm interested in trying my hand at some planet textures or space backgrounds, and would also like to view the existing items for comparison. Ideally I would use the same tool to view the current items and my WIP stuff so I could make a direct comparison.
Gungnir
Mercenary
Mercenary

Re: Tool to view models in current VS formats?

Post by Gungnir »

AFAIK, the only VS model viewer is VS itself; a tool/utility for this would be nice.
~Gungnir
segfault wrote:if I was actually in space I'd totally be throwing on autopilot and relaxing in the back during the trip, sipping space wine and listening (rlaan?) jazz.
Rig: i5 2500k @ 5ghz, 2x OCZ Agility 3 120gb SSD boot drives, AMD Radeon HD 7950 @ 1100/1575 (Catalyst 12.1 Linux and 12.3 Windows), dual-boot Fedora 16 KDE and Windows 7 Pro
Shark
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Shark »

What workflow do you guys use? Is there a special test level that loads quickly and can be modified so as to add only the objects you are working on?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Yep, there's a mission file, the modelview.mission, that you can use to see your ship.

It loads your ship in a test system, and you can fly around and see your ship in external view. You can change the ship being shown by directly editing modelview.mission - it has a couple <flightgroup> tags, each with a type="shipname" attribute you can edit.

You can also add flightgroups if you want, to test several models at once. Note that they must be properly put in units.csv for it to work.

There was a key binding to reload textures and shaders, but I'm not sure it still works - it's old.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe