Animation jerky up-close?

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
drinkypoo
Hunter
Hunter

Animation jerky up-close?

Post by drinkypoo »

I have a core duo T2600 (2.16GHz) with nVidia QuadroFX1500 256MB (PCIE) graphics, 2GB ram, Ubuntu Gutsy up to date, nvidia drivers 100.14.19. Everything is nice and smooth at a distance but jerky up close, such as when docking. I'm playing at 1680x1050 with all the magic turned on but the frame rate doesn't seem to drop or anything, and really the animation updates do seem to come at regular intervals. Is this something that is unique to me, or something that I should have noticed in the todo, or...? I did SVN up on Nov. 1.
Neskiairti
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Neskiairti »

ive noticed objects jerking.. such as ships.. or stations... or worse, myself.
in 4.3 i was fighting something a bit.. and it started jerking around.. a good kilometer in one direction or another. made fighting impossible, he would be one place, then another. and in the right VDU it showed it stretching out then snapping back in to place.

also the 'shaking' when your hit and such.. is a bit much, a tiny tremor is all you need, seriously.. space doesnt move, and the ship wouldnt 'bounce' it would simply get a dose of inertia from another angle with a tremor going along the ships hull.
drinkypoo
Hunter
Hunter

Post by drinkypoo »

Well, I'm really talking more about the animation update rate I guess, at least it looks like that's what's happening, I don't actually know :D but it looks like what produces nice smooth motion at long range is still being used at close range and the result is, for example, an agricultural station that teleports across my viewfield in several-meter-long steps as I rotate around towards it, or travel past it, etc. Er, from my viewpoint, that is :)
Neskiairti
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Neskiairti »

ahh i see what you mean.

i was refering to a more random jumping about like a mexican jumping bean :P
drinkypoo
Hunter
Hunter

Post by drinkypoo »

The closest thing I've seen to that is that there is a tendency for there to be a furball of ships orbiting a jump point every time I arrive at one (in a system with any traffic whatsoever.) As I approach, the ships seem to realize that I'm watching them, and they speed off on their respective courses finally. They are not fighting but it looks like they are as you approach except that no one is shooting or blowing up.

Also I was leaving cepheid 17 for 17ar and there's an asteroid field there, I don't know if it's always there or just in my world, but it looks like a popcorn popper. There is a distinct edge and it's got like a zillion rocks there. What's keeping them there? It reminds me of Freespace 2's asteroid field... but only when I stuff too many asteroids into it.
Neskiairti
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Neskiairti »

yeah.. thats something that could certainly be done better.. asteroids should be in a ring around the star.. not... yeah >.> and they should travel..

maybe if they are plotted in tiny clouds.. say 10 asteroids per cloud.. which orbit around each other.. and the whole cloud orbits at a set distance (depending on randomization factor) from the star..
so you have stretches of these clouds of asteroids.. perhapse some going faster, some going slower, so there is an asteroid ring..
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Those asteroids have been around that jump point forever :wink: you can blow them up and they will roll off your shields if you are not going too fast :lol: That field has saved my butt a few times as well good cover for ambushing Luddites :shock: or pirates :roll: it all comes down to how the where defined.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Neskiairti
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Neskiairti »

i just met up with one of the jerky starbases.. i see what you mean.. it rotates.. but with like.. 5 degree increments or some such.. when it should be .5
drinkypoo
Hunter
Hunter

Post by drinkypoo »

Neskiairti wrote:i just met up with one of the jerky starbases.. i see what you mean.. it rotates.. but with like.. 5 degree increments or some such.. when it should be .5
Bingo! You win the prize. Seems to happen most with mining bases, refineries, commerce centers. I don't know what the common thread is here... Seems to happen more from outside a mining base than inside if that helps anyone any.
Neskiairti
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Neskiairti »

i dunno.. was a star fortress for me.. was kinda anoying, trying to dock with it..
drinkypoo
Hunter
Hunter

Post by drinkypoo »

loki1950 wrote:Those asteroids have been around that jump point forever :wink: you can blow them up and they will roll off your shields if you are not going too fast :lol:
@loki1950: What I'm complaining about is mostly that the field has a hard edge and thus looks like dookie. Never has an asteroid field looked so faked-up as that one (except, again, when someone blows it in Freespace 2) :)