Abundant OpenGL errors (i think)

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
Neskiairti
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Abundant OpenGL errors (i think)

Post by Neskiairti »

Ookay.. ive had this problem on privateer remake (where i played before) and it for the most part went away with version 4.3 of VS.. but now i downloaded and played 5.0 and it seems to again have this problem..

what happens, I am missing certain layers of visuals.. and some things are in the wrong place.

For instance, on the planet screens, such as when you are purchasing.. the little windows that hold text.. I think drawn by OpenGL, are missing. I have the text, buttons, and what not, and I have the background image. But those boxes with the alpha shaders are missing. (so text buttons, such as when saving and loading, stack on top of each other, with nothing bring one or the other 'ahead')

next problem.. in the cockpit.. when i first launch, its in a certain video display mode. and the overlays arnt there. (such as in mouse glide mode for moving, the moble crosshair is missing) when i change to a video mode that shows my ship, or another ship or such in the right video panel.. the cross hair appears, and so does the radar... sorta.

The radar itself is freaked out. The arrow pointing in the targets direction works correctly. so does the selected target's box. however the front and back radar fails. nothing apears there. However, some where out in space, there is this line of colored dots.. it acts as if it is an object outside my ship. I turn, it moves behind me, and so forth. its as if i am seeing it from the edge, so all the dots line up, and are roughly meaningless.

also, when i go to the navigation screen (Shift+M) the mouse is missing, i can still click things, but its a guess as to where my mouse is. plus the boxes and scroll bars and so forth are still missing.

I have never actually seen the boxes and scrollbars except in screenshots. The radar problem, and mouse problem is another story. I think it has to do with my graphics chipset. I dont actually have a accelerator card.

specs>
Case modle: Dell Optiplex Gx60N
OS: Windows XP Pro sp2 (Os im using for Vega strike), Debian Etch
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.4ghz
Ram: 640mb DDR
Video chipset: Intel i845 onboard 8mb of shared ram
using mouse to play

like i said, for the most part, 4.3 worked.. but something done to 5.0 just fails with this system
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Could you attach your "stdout.txt" and "stderr.txt" which you will find in the bin directory?

It may indiciate what problem you are having. One big change (though this doesn't explain privateer remake) is that we now use shaders and compressed textures for fast loading speed.

After posting those two files, try running the setup program and set detail levels down to "medium" or "low" detail levels, but not retro as that one has problems. Or try windowed mode. Or try different shaders
Neskiairti
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Neskiairti »

here you go.
I couldnt get stdout attatched.. its 5 megs and the connection timed out or something.. or perhapse just too big. ill try deleting and starting later..

edit: Ok, got new ones for ya.. took me a minute..
i changed it to no shader support and low detail
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Neskiairti
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Neskiairti »

-bump- so does anyone actually look at these things?

im seeing zero downloads.. >.> i really would like to play..
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

@Neskiairti most of the devs are probably threading there way though an academic maze ATM in R/L so time for VS may be limited.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Neskiairti
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Neskiairti »

ahh, figures.. the bane of opensource :P having to put it on the shelf for real life..
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

All I see is this:
OpenGL Extensions supported: GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_window_pos GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_EXT_cull_vertex GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_packed_pixels_12 GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1 GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_WIN_swap_hint GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap

OpenGL::GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array unsupported

OpenGL::Accurate Fog Distance unsupported

OpenGL::Generic Texture Compression supported

OpenGL::S3TC Texture Compression supported

OpenGL::Multitexture supported (4 units)

OpenGL::TextureCubeMapExt supported

OpenGL::S3TC Texture Clamp-to-Edge unsupported

OpenGL::S3TC Texture Clamp-to-Border supported

OpenGL::EXTColorTable unsupported
The "Intel i845 onboard 8mb of shared ram" is pretty suspect however... Onboard cards are generally the cause of problems.

Have you looked for updated graphics drivers for your onboard graphics card?
Neskiairti
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Neskiairti »

ive nearly committed sepuku trying to get drivers for this thing.. its an older Dell.. second hand.. and dell doesnt have drivers for XP :P nor for any other os except like windows 2000 or 98.. and i think redhat maybe..

plus i still am not entirely sure what kind of graphics chipset is in here... conflicting results. and cant actually find whats on the board.

so i might have the wrong drivers for it.. it might be a 910 like i first thought... or it could be a 845.. or 810..

meh.. id love to get ahold of a decent video card.. but Dell neglected to include an AGP slot, and this is before PCI express..
so i need a PCI card.. that is linux compatable, and can run some decent games.. X.x
Neskiairti
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Neskiairti »

figured id show a screenshot of what the 'radar' looks like.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

You can find out which video driver to get by going to XP's Device Manager if it is an Intel chip set then you can get the latest driver from there site might be buried deep in the site though :wink: have you tried with out anti-aliasing as that seems to be an issue with a few..

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Neskiairti
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Neskiairti »

yeah the problem is.. a dozen different things say its a dozen and one different things..

one minute its a i845G.. next its an i845GL... then all of a sudden its an i845E... oh look.. now its a i810 something or other... oops.. now its a i945

X.x and the dell site.. says it could be any number of 5 different things.. and can give me no specifics.. then looking at the actual motherboard.. i cant even find it.. its either hidden behind something.. or its an unmarked chip (there are like 5 or 6 unmarked chips on this board...) god I hate dell..