HUD problems when encountering nebula.

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
Drakna
Hunter
Hunter

HUD problems when encountering nebula.

Post by Drakna »

i saw this thing among the nav points in a system called red-nebula. so i target it and hit a to fly to it. the spec drive flew through without stopped and then the hud went all wacky. i couldnt tell the distances to any targets
Dyskord
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Dyskord »

Thats a feature, i think.

Never seen scifi-movies and series, like Startrek for example? The Nebulas there for example can disturb the sensors, or other effects.
I read somwhere, it needs a while for sensors to recover from that effect, if you want to make it quick, dock somewhere, save, and reload.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Some of that is intentional, however the fact that it remains that way after you leave the nebula area is odd.
eddit
Merchant
Merchant

Post by eddit »

I've had the same problem. In a system on the way to sol from C-17 there was a mining base inside this purple nebula. When I entered it instruments went haywire. I managed to dock to the station and then made the mistake of saving my game over my existing game. The instruments didn't come back to normal and I had to restart the game.

Unfortunately I didn't keep the saved game. I'll try and repeat what I did and attach the saved game.
"beauty is skin deep
but samples with keratin
are just plain ugly"
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

No, your saved game won't help.

That information is not saved... it is some state that is saved when you get hit, and isn't restored until you exit and restart the game, it seems.

That's why it doesn't go away if you reload from a savegame, but it does go away if you exit the whole game.

I think I have seen this bug... but I;m not sure why it happens
Drakna
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Drakna »

Thats a feature, i think.

Never seen scifi-movies and series, like Startrek for example? The Nebulas there for example can disturb the sensors, or other effects.
I read somwhere, it needs a while for sensors to recover from that effect, if you want to make it quick, dock somewhere, save, and reload.

maybe when inside but once you leave sensors should go back to normal
Dyskord
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Dyskord »

At least i read somewhere here, that it lasts a while after you exit the nebula, and it should be a feature, dunno where it was. I personally havent waited longer than a minute to normalize, and restartet the game, coz most the time i had this effect, i had different ships, that didnt like me ;D

Btw, there is a "Quote" button, when you want to quote someone. Looks better imho when using this, than just copying :)
drinkypoo
Hunter
Hunter

Post by drinkypoo »

Well I just had this problem and I'm in the middle of a mission. I'm two jumps and several minutes away from the nebula, tried repairing too before I came here to view the thread. Now I expect to go back into the game to find it fixed since reading this thread, but I also expect my mission to be something horribly stupid now. I've noticed that if you save and load while you are in a mission your cargo planets go from things like planets to ships like sartres that you can't dock with. At least, I can't; I can't dock with mules or oxes either. I can sometimes dock with clydesdales.
spiffariffic
Trader
Trader

Post by spiffariffic »

Ohh, its a feature... That explains a lot. :)

However, with SVN 11883 I also had it stick until I quit the game entirely and restarted.

Edit: Should I add something to the bug tracker about it? I found a post referring to the nebula "effect" there.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

this is old news. we'll probably have to completely change how nebula's effect units.

nebula's last i saw them looked like polygons in space. Rather than foggy cloud like things. If that's still the case maybe we should just disable them for 0.5 until they are correct in function and vision.
Coragem
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Coragem »

Safemode:
polygons in space
Yes they look just like that and yes, only if you quit the game and run again the hud gets back to normal.
I agree with disabling those for now.
My System: Arch Linux x86_64 Bits CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 995 RAM: Kingston DDR2 800Mhz 8 GB GPU: Dual ATI Radeon HD 4830 512 MB Opensource ATI-Git Drivers. HD: SATA 500 Gb WindowManager: KDE4 Joystick: Thustmaster T.Flight Stick X USB