SVN rev. 11666 Online-Play crash

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
Dyskord
Merchant
Merchant

SVN rev. 11666 Online-Play crash

Post by Dyskord »

Wanted to try Multiplayer today, connecting to the vegastrike-server.

Everything seemed to be fine, Could obviously log in and stuff.
When the screen showed my cockpit view, the game crashed, cant figure out why [even got the message "Dyskord joined the server, or somehwat like this"].

Tried 3 times always the same.

I will attach the error-output and the stdout stuff, just edited my password in these files to <password> ;)

The X-server stuff in the logs is because i run vegastrike in a second X-server...

Edit: The line marking the crash in err.txt is 252, "Speicherzugriffsfehler" means segfault [just in case you dont speak german]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Is it possible for you to compile vegastrike in debug (if you have not already done this)?

Code: Select all

./configure --enable-debug
make clean
make -j2
One problem is that debug uses up much more hard drive space (vegastrike is 100-200 MB) and it will take longer to initially load, but after that it will be about the same speed.

Once you have done that, start it with gdb ./vegastrike

Make sure you have set it to 32-bit Window mode from vssetup (I.e. do not use fullscreen as that will make it harder to debug).
In addition to that, do not run it in your "game"/New X Server wrapper as that will make it more confusing unless you know what you are doing.

Anyway, once gdb loads, it will bring you to a (gdb) prompt. Type run to start the game. Then, Join to a multiplayer server.

When it crashes the game window will freeze, and you will see a line in the terminal from GDB:
Program received SIGSEGV!
And you will have a "(gdb)" prompt again. Type bt full and post the results of that as well as the last few lines of output.

Out of curiosity, I'm interested in your "/usr/bin/game" program... I tried to write a launcher like that but it was buggy and didn't always work. Where did you find that?
Dyskord
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Dyskord »

Hope i got it right...

Btw, the "game" thingy:

#!/bin/bash
X :2 -ac & sleep 2; DISPLAY=:2 $1 &&  pkill -n X
Got it from a german linuxforum, linuxforen.de
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Okay thanks for the crash output as well as the game thing.

The crash happened because the server sent information about a cargo item that did not exist.

I can't reproduce it myself, but I now made it display an error message instead of crash the whole thing.

I do not understand why you would have received an invalid cargo item but that is a separate issue, and an error message this produces may clarify that.

You could try doing something like updating and then searching for "Server sent bad cargo" in the output.
Dyskord
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Dyskord »

src/networking/netclient.cpp:1030 Server sent bad cargo 'Plowshare.milspec' for unit serial 464
That the one?

Besides this it seems to work, no mouse though...
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

what do you mean by no mouse?

Can't you change that setting in vssetup?

I'm going to look into why the "Plowshare.milspec" is causing an error.
Dyskord
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Dyskord »

i can, and i have.. might be related with the vegastrike.config.netplayer? there mouse is deactivated.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

No, the .netplayer config is not used anymore... probably it sohuld be removed to avoid confusion...
Dyskord
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Dyskord »

Hrm, alright...

I will retry later, im too tired now.
Thx for the help :)

Edit: Just had an idea, and it worked. Usually vegastrike would start with the Navscreen, and then my mouse is not working too, until i close it for the first time.. this obviously matches here too. So, Multiplayer seems to work, guess jumps are intentionally non-functional?
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

ace123 wrote:what do you mean by no mouse?

Can't you change that setting in vssetup?

I'm going to look into why the "Plowshare.milspec" is causing an error.
It doesn't exist -- it was mistakenly present in the 0.5.0 beta MPL, but has since been removed, as there never was such a unit in the units.csv.
Dyskord
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Dyskord »

So, is this an error on my side? Maybe some file thats not deleted?
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

No, the person hosting the server ATM is probably using the beta.

Jumps are functional, however there are a few issues with them that I am trying to figure out. One problem is that a server must be started for each system you jump to, and having a single server host multiple systems causes strange crashes.

This becomes a problem when you have a huge universe like Vega Strike's.

I'm still thinking about the right way to handle it server-side. Right now, if you jump it will update your saved game with the new system, and then it will kick you out of the server because it wants to connect to a different server. If this happens to you I can fix your saved game.
Dyskord
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Dyskord »

Yeah, this happened :)
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

okay your save file should be fixed :-)

Also you can reset your game by going here:
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/register.py

but then you lose all your items.
Dyskord
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Dyskord »

Oh thats nice, you can choose other ships :D.
As for the items: i only have a jumpdrive, which i obviously dont need right now.

Thx, again :)

Edit: why can you choose "shipyard" ?
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

That dropdown takes them from units.csv, with every ship in the game.

It's kind of a replacement for not being able to buy ships for now... I'm not sure how this will develop in the long term.
Dyskord
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Dyskord »

Alright, seems to work, except:

When i upgrade my ship, some things obviously are not installed instantly, but when i reconnect to the server, like weapons, and rockets. However, an ECM-Package was directly installed, without reconnect. (Die and Reload doesnt solve this issue, too)

When i want to connect to the server while i was playing another singleplayer game [clicking Net Play in the Save-Dialogue-Window], i cant target anything or dock, and in the Nav-Screen i see the complete "Map" of the universe from the singleplayer-game.

Furthermore, when i want to go from Multiplayer to load a singleplayer-savegame, it wants to regenerate the universe (i cancelled the progress, and tried loading the save after restarting the game, it worked fine, without regenerating the universe).

Dont know if anyone already reported this, if you need anything else, ask :)
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Yes, there are some odd bugs when switching from singleplayer to multiplayer. I might decide to disable this feature completely in the final release...
Though I have some ideas on how to fix it so that it always works.

The upgrading bug I know about... Should be relatively easy to fix... It only affects weapons.

If you can't target or dock to anything that means you have been dropped from the server... as to why, your console output may have some clues...

To capture console output easily, add to the end of your command line: >output.txt 2>&1 This should work even when using the "game" script if the output formerly was printed on your console.

Thanks for telling me about Save and Die/Reload vs loading a new game. The Die/reload button uses respawn, which seems to not be updated when you save the game, instead of the newest saved game.

I should be able to polish these bugs by the release.
Dyskord
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Dyskord »

Alright, i will try to take a look at it, when i cant target or dock again.
Besides, if i start gdb / vegastrike like "game bla bla" i can perfectly play in the second Xserver, and if i start it with gdb, it doesnt output stuff from x-server as it seems.
Well, i wrote another shellscript for this, just for my convenience :D
Dyskord
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Dyskord »

Server currently down, or bug?

/networking/lowlevel/netui.cpp:199 SOCKETALT FD: 15
networking/netclient_login.cpp:412 created TCP socket (bobbens.ath.cx,6777) -> 0xc50c6f0
g/lowlevel/vsnet_sockettcp.cpp:415 recv returned -1 errno 111 = Connection refused
receiving TCP packetlength bytes: Connection refused
Failed sending TCP data of 8 len to socket 15
        sending TCP data: Bad file descriptor
Error socket closed : Bad file descriptor
g/lowlevel/vsnet_sockettcp.cpp:332 socket error closed :        Warning: disconnect null socket: Bad file descriptor
g/lowlevel/vsnet_sockettcp.cpp:332 NCinit_timedout :    Warning: disconnect null socket: Bad file descriptor
g/lowlevel/vsnet_sockettcp.cpp:73 enter virtual VsnetTCPSocket::~VsnetTCPSocket()

ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Yeah it seems down for me too.

I'm currently changing around the server code with functions like targetting or docking, but when I get it working in a stable way, I might start up a server on my computer again.
Dyskord
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Dyskord »

Na, im just asking, theres usually no one there anyways, when im there ^^