Multiplayer crashes

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
Jibbles
Merchant
Merchant

Multiplayer crashes

Post by Jibbles »

I just tried out the network play mode. I setup a server on my laptop, and attempted to connect to it from my main box. I connected to it (i was flying a milspec goddard), i got a few seconds in and it crashes.

I'll paste the stderror and stdout, although is there something else i should also upload coz this was a multiplayer related incident?

Using winxp pro and release 0.5b on both machines.

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Thanks. I'll look into this one...
e\src\networking\netclient.cpp:528 Rcvd TCP: CMD_SNAPCARGO from serial 0
!!! ERROR : attempt to read invalid data at offset=239: Actual type is a NB_FLOAT but I wanted a NB_CHAR !!!
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

You also seem to have caught another error as well!
Link successful. The GLSL vertex shader will run in hardware. The GLSL fragment shader will run in hardware.
ERROR: 0:93: 'texture2DLod' : no matching overloaded function found
ERROR: 0:93: 'rgb' : field selection requires structure, vector, or matrix on left hand side
ERROR: 2 compilation errors. No code generated.

Fragment Program Error: Failed to compile highend
ERROR: 0:26: '[' : array must be redeclared with a size before being indexed with a variable
ERROR: 0:26: '[' : array must be redeclared with a size before being indexed with a variable
ERROR: 0:28: '[' : array must be redeclared with a size before being indexed with a variable
ERROR: 0:29: '[' : array must be redeclared with a size before being indexed with a variable
ERROR: 0:30: '[' : array must be redeclared with a size before being indexed with a variable
ERROR: 0:34: '[' : array must be redeclared with a size before being indexed with a variable
ERROR: 0:35: '[' : array must be redeclared with a size before being indexed with a variable
ERROR: 0:36: '[' : array must be redeclared with a size before being indexed with a variable
ERROR: 8 compilation errors. No code generated.

Vertex Program Error: Failed to compile lite
OpenGL::EXTColorTable unsupported
What graphics card do you have?
Jibbles
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Jibbles »

I'm using an ATI X700 (asus Extreme AX700), PCIe. Hopefully this will change soon. (go the 8800gts :)).
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

that card is fast enough but it's clear you don't have the newest drivers from ATI.

download them or the omega drivers and i'm sure it should work on that card--we've tested it on far worse
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

There were two problems...
The 0.5 beta was shipped with an old vegaserver.exe.

The old vegaserver.exe bounced back the version number the client sent to it (Wonder what ever put that idea into my head), while the new version of vegastrike.exe assumes that the server sends the correct version number.

If this were anything more than a beta release, I would right now be adding a bunch of version-specific checks to test for the buggy server version... But it will be much easier for some developer on windows to just recompile the vegaserver.exe, and once that happens you can download it and it will then work.

However, you should at least be able to play online (forum account) multiplayer.
Jibbles
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Jibbles »

hellcatv wrote:that card is fast enough but it's clear you don't have the newest drivers from ATI.

download them or the omega drivers and i'm sure it should work on that card--we've tested it on far worse
Yep, i probably should update the drivers, however since i can play 0.5 single player, i shouldn't think this to be a problem
My Rig: AMD64 3000+ (939), Asus Extreme AX700, Windows XP pro.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Oh, no the graphics driver wasn't the reason for the crash. However updating the drivers will allow it to use a better shader, which would probably make it faster and/or improve the graphics quality.

The crash you saw was the game freaking out because of a bug in the multiplayer code.

EDIT: By the way jibbles, have you tried copying the SDL.dll from the bin folder of the version that works (0.4.3) to the new beta release?
Jibbles
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Jibbles »

ace123 wrote:EDIT: By the way jibbles, have you tried copying the SDL.dll from the bin folder of the version that works (0.4.3) to the new beta release?
If you were referring to my USB joystick problem, it works now with the change over. Which i still find odd considering that it works fine with the 0.5 sdl.dll on my laptop?
Still i'm happy, thanks dude.
My Rig: AMD64 3000+ (939), Asus Extreme AX700, Windows XP pro.