Just a few issues with 0.5.

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
Jibbles
Merchant
Merchant

Just a few issues with 0.5.

Post by Jibbles »

Firstly just had this problem
Was just leaving mining base after selling some cargo, and as I was leaving the hanger, i noticed the floor rapidly approaching me, so I tilted upwards (as you do). Everything was sweet until i started bouncing off the top and bottom of one of the exits, and was eventualy destroyed (i just couldn't clear the exit for some reason). The stderror and std out are referring to this incident

Next, when I select a mission and accept it, it remains there in the console, and i am able to choose it 3 times (they appear to be different when undertaken though).

This one isn't much of a problem, but i had it with 0.4.3 as well, the mouse cursor seems to stick to the left of the screen for a bit before it moves. Another one (maybe I should use windowed), is where I alt+tab (to minimize), when i select the game (or any other app open for that matter) on the task bar, it doesn't open the application and flicks the cursor up to the top left of the screen?

I tried docking with a clydesdale and i couldn't?, I pressed 'd' in the green square but nothing, is there some new procedure to docking with capships?

Using 0.5, winxp pro, d/l'd from here

And to end on a good note, I like the new menu, the game itself is alot faster (or appers so, so far)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jibbles
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Jibbles »

Had another problem which ended up in my desctuction. My ship wouldn't move, I couldn't (even with afterburner), move anywhere fast. And of course I just happened to come under attack by a mule which I couldn't out run (in my llama). A bit before this I found that I had no thrust, the only way I could alter my position was using the afterburners, or the autopilot feature.
My Rig: AMD64 3000+ (939), Asus Extreme AX700, Windows XP pro.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Sounds like you made the mistake of hitting "~"

This is a new "feature" (a.k.a. bug) which needs to be disabled or else clearly marked before the release.

Thanks for reminding us of this problem
Jibbles
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Jibbles »

Ahh ok, i remember that from vs 0.4.3, if you hit it it would hold your speed until released, so in vs 0.5 you must hit it again to disable?
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Exactly... It's really annoying and nonintuitive. In the old version accidentally hitting it would do nothing bad, but now accidentally hitting it could cause you to slam into some object because the ship isn't accelerating, and there's no indicator light.
Jibbles
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Jibbles »

I fully agree with ya. If you do know what the problem is it makes things slightly easier (as in you know how to undo it). Many thanks again for all this help, and providing a top class game.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

ace123 wrote:Sounds like you made the mistake of hitting "~"

This is a new "feature" (a.k.a. bug) which needs to be disabled or else clearly marked before the release.

Thanks for reminding us of this problem
I think "Clearly marked" is the appropriate answer
I don't see the toggle-nature as being a bug -- it prevents having to do all sorts of keyboard-yoga to keep the key pressed while doing other things.

The real problem is our lack of indicator lights for (I can think of at least 3 off the top of my head that are missing) modes of operation.

This potential issue (disabling of flight computer, travel mode, no light for autopilot) is noted in the 0.5.0 Beta FAQ in the wiki. Please feel free to expand upon both this particular entry and the FAQ in general -- I just put a stub in there to start with.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Maybe I'll do it by appending to the message window at the top a big red message like " **** ATTENTION **** Flight computer disabled"

The code's already there for chat mode, so I'll add in checks for other flight modes if it's easy to access them.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

I think adding a light like the spec light would be ideal
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
Jibbles
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Jibbles »

Maybe a feature like the tooltips in bf1942, or something that pops up saying that you have pressed this key, this is what it does, this is how you revert back. Also maybe a warning informing you that you have alot of mass so that your ship's performance will be severely decreased (or something like that).
This feature could be toggled on/off in the setup.