3 axis joy stick problem

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
rigelan
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by rigelan »

That's a definite idea Loki. UDEV itself shouldn't be, because i have been using UDEV for a while (over a year)

But HAL is new in Slack 12.0, and might be causing an issue. this doesn't explain the windows problem. . . But maybe they're two entirely separate issues.
AMD 4800 - NVIDIA 7600 - Slackware Linux 12.2
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

I am really confused about this problem... I suspect the SDL library

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6 2007-10-07 05:42 /dev/input/by-id/usb-06a3_Saitek_Cyborg_USB_Stick-joystick -> ../js0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2007-10-07 05:42 /dev/input/by-id/usb-06a3_Saitek_Cyborg_USB_Stick-event-joystick -> ../event1

Your "head -c0" output looks the same as mine...
Therefore I don't suspect any sort of issue with UDEV.

One thing I would be interested in is to take the binary libSDL shared object from 1.2.7.
you can safely do this without permanently affecting any parts of your system by using the LD_* environment variables.

First, you need the libraries... I packaged up the .so file from the proper deb packages (version "1.2.7+1.2.8cvs20041007-4.1") here:

(links removed... see below for more compatible version or go to http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/users/ace123/ )

Extract the tgz file with "tar -zxf" into the current directory.
Then, set the environment variables:

Code: Select all

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$PWD
export LD_PRELOAD=libSDL-1.2.so.0
To see if it's using the right library, do:
ldd ./vegastrike | grep SDL
and make sure the path is from your vegastrike directory.

Then, you are set to go and start ./vegastrike with the older version of SDL and we can see if SDL is the problem.
Last edited by ace123 on Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
rigelan
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by rigelan »

Your libSDL 1.2.7 creates some weird linking to libaudio, which doesn't exist on my machine.

Doesn't allow me to do anything.

I guess that's standard, and slackware is abnormal. whatever, it doesn't work. I might be able to find an old 1.2.8 version for slackware though.
rigelan
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by rigelan »

I tried a precompiled 1.2.8 for slackware, and it didn't provide any joystick response.

On my particular system, its not a disparaging between the svn versions.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Oops... I gave you the least compatible version which compiled to include all audio systems... which also makes it depend on every audio system.

Try these:
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/users ... -32bit.tgz
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/users ... -64bit.tgz
They depend only on standard libraries this time (X11 and linux)

I'm just using these because they are extracted from a binary package so it's easy for me to tar them up...

If these .so files don't work then you will need to find a slackware-compatible version.

EDIT: I'm getting really confused...
I just spent the minute it took to review the history of this thread.

I believe that we have been talking about two separate issues in this case.

I see that the stdout/err you posted shows that the joystick is indeed detected. Are you sure you didn't just forget to run "vssetup" and set the joystick mode to "Something-Axis Joystick With Throttle"?

Any idea if you could just post your output and vegastrike.config (using whichever version of SDL... it doesn't seem to matter)?
rigelan
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by rigelan »

yeah, i made sure that my vegastrike config said

Code: Select all

#set Joystick joy_throttle_and_axis
this matches all the lines in the bottom of the config that set the axes and buttons.

That is really the only change, because I revert it every time that file is updated, and just change that one line.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

So that explains the problem then :-)
If that's the only line you modified then of course it's not going to work.

vegastrike.config contains two languages... one is used by "vssetup", which toggles XML comments (so that the setup options are invisible to the XML file, except options which are enabled and disabled.) ... and it contains XML markup which specifies individual settings and bindings.

So basically the easiest way to modify settings is to use the "vssetup" program which is compiled if you have GTK development packages installed.

The "#set" means nothing except to the vssetup program... also keep in mind that if you modified the #set then vssetup will show the wrong option selected, so you might have to toggle it back and forth to No Joystick and back to get the option to enable.

Otherwise, you must be aware of the "<!--" and "-->" and toggle them or modify options to suit your needs. This method is much harder... I recommend just compiling and using vssetup.

Sorry if I confused you..
rigelan
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by rigelan »

That's interesting to note. I had thought I had gotten it to work before . . . by doing this. . . Well, I'll let you know later tonight. Hopefully there's no issue whatsoever.
rigelan
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by rigelan »

Well golly, I feel so silly that it was such an easy fix. And it even said that on the top of the vegastrike.config title. But I didn't know what those lines meant until now. And I guess it wasn't apparent enough to my thick skull.

Thanks.

It works wonderfully. I think the owner of this thread still has an issue though, that needs to be addressed.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

A Homer moment was if rigelan :wink: and jibbles has not posted for a few days so maybe he found a workaround.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

No, the solution seems to be the old version SDL.dll... I'm not sure if we should release with an older SDL or not just because of this.
Jibbles wrote:
ace123 wrote:EDIT: By the way jibbles, have you tried copying the SDL.dll from the bin folder of the version that works (0.4.3) to the new beta release?
If you were referring to my USB joystick problem, it works now with the change over. Which i still find odd considering that it works fine with the 0.5 sdl.dll on my laptop?
Still i'm happy, thanks dude.