Wormhole animation has dissapeared

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
eddit
Merchant
Merchant

Wormhole animation has dissapeared

Post by eddit »

After updating to 11613 the wormhole animations have disappeared. I assume that's related to the updated bfxm.

I actually don't mind that much as I always found that the spinning wormhole dropped my framerate and it's heaps better exiting the wormholes now, but I assume that this was not the intended result :-)
"beauty is skin deep
but samples with keratin
are just plain ugly"
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

I'm not sure if it was or wasn't, but it ain't going to help anything... Extreme framerate drop was with just the wireframes, not the wormhole animation. On my machine, getting close enough to jump (and trigger the animation) would probably cause the game to hang.
eddit
Merchant
Merchant

Post by eddit »

I never really noticed the wireframe giving me drop-off, but the animation was very apparent. If you looked away from the wormhole when you were close to it and when the animation stopped the framerate increased.
"beauty is skin deep
but samples with keratin
are just plain ugly"
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Damnation!

I tried removing the specmap from the bfxm to make things smoother - obviously something went wrong, which is odd (all I did is bfxm to xmesh, specmap out, xmesh to bfxm - ie: nothing fancy).

I can't properly test because I'm very very very low on memory right now (my RAM started failing and I had to dig up some old modules to make the computer work again). If anyone can take a look before next week (when I expect to get new modules), please do so.

About the wireframe - I'm lost. Nothing should make the wireframe kill y our framerates after all the things we've tried (antialiasing and shader stuff). If it's not a driver bug, it's an application bug that's eluding me. All I can suggest if the drop is too annoying is to replace the wireframe mesh with something friendlier on your computer.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
eddit
Merchant
Merchant

Post by eddit »

SVN 11620 has got the wormhole animation back, with the added bonus of the active wormhole animation being much frendlier on my PC. I get no drop-off now.

Edwin
"beauty is skin deep
but samples with keratin
are just plain ugly"
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Yep, there was a bug with mesher - with that fixed, all is well now.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe