nan velocity, nan distance

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
shadow_slicer
Merchant
Merchant

nan velocity, nan distance

Post by shadow_slicer »

Since I updated to SVN 11544, a good percentage of the time when the I load a game, something strange occurs when I undock from the base. My initial velocity is NaN. Then the distance to every object in the system becomes nan.

It has occurred both after dieing and during the initial game load. The save file is most likely not corrupted since it works sometimes. I have already have tried wiping my ~/.vegastrike directory and setting it up again.

Here is was appears to be the relevant snipped from stderr:

Code: Select all

Unit is the active player character...changing scene graph
Num Nodes: 2, NumEnds: 1
Min Height: 10000000, Max Height: 1
Average Height 1.000000
Num Nodes: 3, NumEnds: 1
Min Height: 10000000, Max Height: 2
Average Height 2.000000
Num Nodes: 77, NumEnds: 26
Min Height: 3, Max Height: 10
Average Height 6.884615
Num Nodes: 27472, NumEnds: 9933
Min Height: 5, Max Height: 113
Average Height 23.061713
Num Nodes: 35426, NumEnds: 12472
Min Height: 5, Max Height: 98
Average Height 27.076812
Asking to undock
Asking to undock
Asking to undock
dot -0.467188dot -0.426129fatal local forceAsking to undock
fatal local forcefatal local forcefatal local forcefatal local forcefatal local forceFuel is NAN B
fatal local forcefatal error in camerafatal error in camerafatal error in camerafatal error in camerafatal error in camerafatal error in camerafatal error in camerafatal error in camerafatal error in camerafatal error in camerafatal error in camerafatal error in camerafatal error in camerafatal error in camerafatal error in camerafatal error in camerafatal error in camerafatal error in camerafatal error in camerafatal error in camerafatal error in camerafatal error in camerafatal error in camerafatal error in camerafatal error in camerafatal error in camerafatal error in camerafatal error in camerafatal error in camerafatal error in camerafatal error in camerafatal error in camerafatal error in camerafatal
The rest of stderr continues like this until where I killed the program.

I have a screenshot but the forum won't let me add it as an attachment.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

can you zip then e-mail your savegame to hellcatv@hotmail.com
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
silvercat
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

Post by silvercat »

Same here. Just updated and also having same problem. Also the fuel gauge is empty and the sensor is not displaying anything.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome silvercat what's your OS and hardware details and as helcatv asked shadow_slicer the save game may have relevant info.also the svn revision so we now where to look in the source tree :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
silvercat

Post by silvercat »

Hello loki thanks for welcoming me to the forum.

I am not sure what svn update I made but I updated yesterday and since then had the problem. I just checked and updated to rev 11562 today. I will compile and try playing again to see if I encounter the same problem. I noticed it happens after leaving a mining base or a fighter base. I do not believe it is related to a corrupt saved game because when I tried the same saved game with a prior version of the game the problem was no more. If I encounter the problem again I will send a copy of the saved game to hellcatv. Again Thanks for the quick response.

I am running ubuntu linux Feisty 64 on a MSI k8n neo v2.0 system board with a amd athlon 64 3200 cpu, and 1 gb PC2700 DDR, MSI gforce FX 5200 128mb AGP, Maxtor 200 GB SATA/150 Hardrive.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

it's probably not a corrupt savegame
but if we can't see the problem we can't fix it...and if your savegame causes it often it's probably better than us idly ambling about until we chance upon it
shadow_slicer
Merchant
Merchant

Post by shadow_slicer »

Anyway, I emailed my save to hellcatv(at)hotmail.com yesterday, so maybe he'll have a chance to look into it more. Unfortunately my computer doesn't appear to have enough RAM to run vegastrike (with debugging information) under a debugger (and it takes 10 minutes to link after every build), so I can't easily debug this myself.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

thanks shadow_slicer! that's awesome
I was able to diagnose it and fix it from your savegame.

not sure why I wasn't seeing this before

still building the windows binary for a few hours, but the linux should be ready to go--just update and roll out