Frame Rate in Base?

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
rigelan
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Frame Rate in Base?

Post by rigelan »

Is there a frame rate cap while docked in a base?

The reason I ask is that I know that when I am flying around space, my video card Geforce 6200, sits around 59 degrees C. When I dock at a base, it raises to around 69 degrees C. Might I ask why this is?

Is it because since your card doesn't have to actively generate video images, it's framerate goes up to infinity? Or atleast until the video card gets hot?

I know that pressing Pause/Break does not make the video card temperature rise. Maybe the code that starts pause/break should activate and deactivate upon entering and leaving a base?
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

The base code had nothing else it was doing, so it was sitting in a loop rendering the same frame over again.

I was asking myself the exact same question as you were.

I added a micro_sleep(1000) between frames in my latest commit, 11494.
I was considering micro_sleep(10000) but that might be too long.
The change hasn't propagated to a windows executable yet, however.

Ideally I could sleep more if there aren't any animations.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

ace123 wrote:I added a micro_sleep(1000) between frames in my latest commit, 11494.
That's a very good idea :D

Anyway, I was going to suggest forcing vsync on your drivers (vertical refresh synchronization) - that will cap the framerate to your monitor's refresh rate, regardless of which exe you use.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe