Game appears to hang

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Game appears to hang

Post by charlieg »

Ok, this is technically not a bug... but... to people who don't know better, the game may feel like it has hung when they start a new game as the time taken to generate the dynamic universe can be significant. Some feedback to the user to indicate the game is loading (or even a message saying, "Loading dynamic universe, this may take few minutes so please be patient!") will make people feel reassured.
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I have python scripts with exactly that kind of feedback. However, they may break savegames yet again.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

I committed a simple fix for now that adds a message in generate_dyn_universe.py

VS.showSplashMessage("Generating a Universe... This may take a while.")

I noticed that the splash screen sometimes changes to black or white in the middle of the campaign loading (sometimes when reloading from the basecomputer). I have seen it inconsistently a few times, but maybe because I was also debugging it at the same time.)
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

An other thing i have never seen the Shaper screen in the rotation the fraternal war one seems to be the one that goes white on my system while the shaper seems to be black.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

That might explain the white/black thing.

Anyway I found out why in Linux at least, loading a saved game takes so long.

Most of the loading time is spent beacuse of hashtable collsisions. The hashtable used for mission string data is simply way too small.

Code: Select all

(gdb) list 753
748         hashtable<_Val, _Key, _HF, _Ex, _Eq, _All>::
749         insert_unique_noresize(const value_type& __obj)
750         {
751           const size_type __n = _M_bkt_num(__obj);
752           _Node* __first = _M_buckets[__n];
754           for (_Node* __cur = __first; __cur; __cur = __cur->_M_next)
755             if (_M_equals(_M_get_key(__cur->_M_val), _M_get_key(__obj)))
756               return pair<iterator, bool>(iterator(__cur, this), false);
(gdb) print __n
$11 = 34336
(gdb) print _M_buckets.size()
$12 = 49157
Now that is quite a few buckets, but every time I break it is stuck in string::compare, and when I try next'ing through this I can't get to the end, so each bucket has on average hundreds of elements... maybe off by an order of magnitude or two.

Not sure why this is suddenly a problem... maybe decreasing the number of ships overall will fix this, but half a minute of loading time is wasted in adding ships to the saved game, and most of that is spent searching through buckets of a hashtable, or so it seems.

Any ideas on how to solve this loading issue?
Is there a way to reserve buckets in STL, say as a function of the number of bytes in the savegame file (which is easy to find).
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

That's normal, it's the only time-expensive operation on a hashtable, it's 99% chance you'll break there no matter how efficiently the table is used, mostly if you're dumping/inserting things.
And no, if there's a way to reserve space, it's nonstandard. But a very very common extension (SGI's STL for instance has it, and whatever the SGI STL has almost all others have) is hash_map::resize(), which does exactly that. But you don't know the number of strings beforehand, so you're better off letting the STL handle resizes.

The scripts I talked about were thought as a way to release a bit of that burden, by restructuring the data saved. I have more strings, but shorter - should help a bit, make the hash more efficient. Should. Also, that should also speed up operations with the unit list on saves, since now they don't have to process that much data. However, I haven't benchmarked it in full, but one good thing is that it introduced hookpoints where to add progress reports ;) - and that's what I did.

I'm not sure if I should commit, will bork people's savegames a bit (though not to the point of having to delete them I think, only the dynamic universe gets reset).
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

I actually had to change two things. The bottlenecks were from both hash_map's that had an incredible number of elements.

In savegame.cpp, I changed it from:
typedef stdext::hash_map<string,vector <StringPool::Reference> >MSD;
to:
typedef std::map<string,vector <std::string> >MSD;

Unfortunately, this change couldn't be hidden from code that uses it since you can't easily cast vectors with two different string types.

A proper hashtable should be able to go faster than a red-black tree, however the STL hashtables

But it does decrease loading time significantly for me.

Anyway, I committed the change.
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

klauss wrote:I'm not sure if I should commit, will bork people's savegames a bit (though not to the point of having to delete them I think, only the dynamic universe gets reset).
If you are going to commit it, now's the time, so that post-release you're not in the situation of possibly borking saves.
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

Hmm, has something changed in the latest SVN? Because now the the long load time isn't just the first time you run the game, it's every time - the game always takes several minutes to load. It's as if it's redoing the universe every time.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

If you click "Campaign" then you are starting a new game, and it will generate a new universe.
If that isn't clear, maybe we should give it a different name.

Were you clicking Campaign or Load Game?

Also, maybe we should ship VS with a pre-generated universe so as to avoid the long wait on the first game.
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

Clicking on Campaign to start a new game, and Load Game on subsequent launches to load my saved game. It's pretty clear.