11299 Hard Crash

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
whatch1
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

11299 Hard Crash

Post by whatch1 »

vegastrike hard crash something about c++ run time error

vega strike has requested in an unusual way no screen print, no stout or sterr files in directories

Happened twice today both time in asap

Bill

:roll:
Machine: P4 prescott 3.2 Ghz, 2Gb ddr ram, 2 80g seagate sata drives in raiad stripe config nvidia 6600 gt oc card sidwinder pro FF2
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

You will want to check the stderr.txt and stdout.txt files which should be in your bin directory.

You can use an attachment to a forum post or paste in the last 30 lines of each. You should see a message in this format if it is in fact python-related.
Traceback (most recent call last):
something, line 10 in somethiing
function()
something, line 30 in something
function()
SomethingError: something

If you don't see anything, it could be a memory crash... either you have too little memory or it's a bad bug that will require valgrind.

Either way, those files will tell us what the problem is.
whatch1
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

11299 hard crash

Post by whatch1 »

niether file was produced in the last crash

i know where to look just the last 30 lines then ok

Bill
Machine: P4 prescott 3.2 Ghz, 2Gb ddr ram, 2 80g seagate sata drives in raiad stripe config nvidia 6600 gt oc card sidwinder pro FF2
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

if you double click on the executable it will produce those two files in the directory you start it from... so it should be bin.

But occasionally they will make their as far as C:\ or data4.x or even music folder...

If you compiled it yourself and ran from debug, those files will actually be in the project directory or wherever you set the current working directory to.

Yeah, it's confusing, but SDL doesn't change directory first.
Also, make sure you have write/administrator access to the whole data4.x tree. If not, that could be the source of all your problems including the stderr/stdout thing.

But unless you compiled with GLUT (in which case you will see a console window) those files will be created *somewhere* regardless.
whatch1
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

11299 attached error file

Post by whatch1 »

attached is the only error messegage i recieved
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

I know the error you are talking about... but that error won't help any unless you provide more information.

The stderr.txt and stdout.txt will do that... you should be able to go to "find files and folders" if you can't find them... but they should be somewhere around where you started the program (double click on it and they should appear in the same place). If it's a shortcut it will be in that directory.

If those files didn't get generated, I would be interested in other information.

Are you Administrator or equivalent or do you have full access to the VS dir?
What settings do you have, whether it happens every time.
How many minutes into the game did it happen? Does it always happen at the same point?
whatch1
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

hard crash info

Post by whatch1 »

The problem occured while docking to serenity looked like a video overload

it was not on my primary machine my backup machine is now back in the closet where it belongs. I'm going to get the latest svn now that sig pc is running again a bad net card and a fried usb port took it down. Now my babys problem free i hope.

if it happens again I will let you know ace123

Bill
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

sure. Sounds like that may have been an old machine... make sure you have updated the video card drivers within the past few years. That might explain the graphics problems.

Anyway good luck.