Nav Computer Bugs

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
cap601
Merchant
Merchant

Nav Computer Bugs

Post by cap601 »

In the nav computer (Shift+M) the Sectors option is blank. Similarly selecting Nav/Info then Up gives a blank page rather than the map of systems as expected. I'm using SVN 11177 with the prebuilt exe.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Thanks for reminding me of this bug.
The problem is caused because the menu screen happens in an empty system (since nothing has been loaded yet).

The nav computer as it is implented isn't very tolerant of moving around in ways that aren't linked to each other.
So basically I need to reinitialize it if you are in a disconnected system....

If you look at the nav screen on that page, you will notice it says "Special/Empty" as your current system, rather than the "Cephid 17" you see on any other page.
I'll look for a good way to solve this. Maybe a string comparison (since those two should always be the same) and then reinitialize the whole thing otherwise.
winthrowe
Explorer
Explorer

Workaround

Post by winthrowe »

In the main_menu.mission file, I changed the line that read

Code: Select all

<var name="system" value="Special/Empty" />
to

Code: Select all

<var name="system" value="Crucible/Cephid_17" />

it takes longer for the game to get the menu screen working, but pressing up now gives the jump map that is known. I still can't get the hang of the actual navigation computer, but that may just be user error. Using Rev. 11196 SVN under linux btw.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Cool, that might be a good temporary fix if this is still an issue at release time.
Dark-Blood-Hound
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Dark-Blood-Hound »

Well considering the CURRENT Nav Computer interface is soo old and basic, I won't be suprised if it is crawling with problems.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

It should be an easy fix... The problem is that putting Cephid_17 as the initial system creates other problems with the way the main menu works...

I'll commit it soon, I promise.
winthrowe
Explorer
Explorer

Possible nav computer fix

Post by winthrowe »

I'm not much of a C++ coder, and I have a fast machine, so I'm sure there would be a better way to write it or a better place to put it, but here's a *works-for-me* patch that gets my jump/galaxy map working.
So far, I've only playtested through a few campaign starts, with a jump or two each, and I tried saving and loading in another starsystem, and then seeing if it worked. the only thing I've run into so far, is it gives a second 'target search' in the navigation computer.

I personally think that it's very important that the release have the jump map working in one way or another.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Cool. Thanks for looking up the appropriate functions...

As to performance, a string comparison is pretty much nothing. So it shouldn't affect anything.

I'll commit this to SVN.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Sorry... forgot to commit earlier. It's now in 11330
winthrowe
Explorer
Explorer

Post by winthrowe »

I'm so glad to have been able to give back something in time for the next release, especially since I've been playing every now and again since about four years ago.
winthrowe
Explorer
Explorer

Post by winthrowe »

I was fiddling around a little more, trying to make the system map more useable as well. from what I could tell, in drawing the system, it wasn't fully skipping the ships that were outside of radar range, and was also pretending they were all capships when range checking, if I deciphered things correctly. Also, I personally found that the icons were too big, so I took the header constants and divided by three, roughly. It's not perfect, but I find that it helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

That does indeed seem to cut the clutter and may in fact be usable 8)

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
winthrowe
Explorer
Explorer

Post by winthrowe »

I'm glad someone else thinks so. I'm a big fan of powerful in-flight tools, it is the future after all :)
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »