SVN 11123 Clydesdale Spawned again.

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
rigelan
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

SVN 11123 Clydesdale Spawned again.

Post by rigelan »

I know this used to happen quite frequently in 0.43. But I happened to compile SVN 11123 on linux tonight, and headed over to a mining base, or some type of base, and low and behold, a clydesdale spawned right in front of me. I banged into it, but bounced off, no harm done.

Maybe its a freak accident. Maybe it was just random chance, but it still spawned roughly 1000 meters from me as I was 10000 meters from the base.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Is this just a coincidence, or does it happen a lot?

I thought that ships were not supposed to appear out of nowhere in the latest version... Maybe it's related to some recent python change that I made.
rigelan
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by rigelan »

I don't know if its a coincidence or not. I only saw it once, i had the game open 20 minutes or so, I was flying around Cephid_17, and came up to a base and it appeared. After that, it was time to go to bed, and I didn't research any further.

But it definitely spawned as I approached a base.

I just thought, maybe its related to a mission. I don't think I had a mission open to destroy somebody at that base. But it's possible that I did, and as I got close it spawned as one of the flightgroup.
rigelan
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by rigelan »

Okay, it happened again, i now have the 11175 svn version. I had a mission to go to deliver materials to a mining base. I got just to the mining base, there were no ships around, and suddenly something spawned.

I'll assume it was big because it destroyed me without me even seeing it.

I know it is allowed to have ships spawn when a location is reached, but ships large enough to destroy me by me bouncing into them shouldn't appear right in front of me.
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

networked units becoming normal units (i think it does this now) .. basically becoming simulated/graphical when in range... should do that well before you could collide with them.

In all other cases, units should have to enter a system through a jump point like normal players have to. It makes no sense to allow new units to appear in a system spontaneously. If this is not the behavior now, it should be for post 4.4
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

It's probably a bug with random_encounters.py.

I started a bug report for this... since this should be solved before release.
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=119507
rigelan
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by rigelan »

Today I ran into a Tesla. For some reason I survived. I am pretty confidant that it only spawns when entering 5 or 10 kilometers of the objective of a mission. No other jumps, bases, or planets show up with a random encounter unless my mission text specifically states that I must show up there to deliver my cargo.

Hopefully this helps to narrow it down. I will recompile again sometime soon to see if the situation has changed at all. But it is still true as of 11185.

It behaves almost as though my mission is to head to a mining base to destroy a certain vessel. Once I get to the mining base, it will spawn, I will automatically target it, and then take it out. Maybe the random encounter is not so random, and it is treating my cargo mission like a fighting mission.