Vega Strike does not play nice with S3TC texture compression

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Vega Strike does not play nice with S3TC texture compression

Post by Miramor »

If you remember my thread in User Help, I had some memory consumption issues due to being unable to use texture compression. Well, it turns out my hardware (and, in fact, a large number of integrated graphics chipsets) can decompress textures that have been compressed in software.

I tried forcing S3TC compression... And discovered that it made VS look like this:

As opposed to this, without the compression:

I suspected a driver bug. However, when I tested BZFlag, which also uses textures, with forced S3TC, I got this...

As you can see, the textures are all pristine and beautiful. Ergo... the problem is with something that Vega Strike does. That's what it looks like anyway. I certainly hope this can be solved, because being unable to use texture compression makes the current SVN unplayable on cards that are supported fine...
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

Still exists in latest SVN (11185). Can't figure out whether VS is seeing my hardware properly, as stderr and stdout are never generated.

(I should note, though, that in spite of the lack of texture compression the latest SVN has brought with it a freakin' massive reduction in memory usage. WTG, guys. :D )
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

Ah here we go.
stderr wrote: OpenGL::S3TC Texture Compression unsupported
This may actually be right, given what glxinfo has to say, even though i945GM is supposed to support S3TC. Maybe this is a driver bug.

(In which case, I wonder how on Earth BZFlag manages to look the same with S3TC forced when my card doesn't support it. :? )

Fortunately, the game is at least usable now without S3TC...

(Edit: or maybe it isn't. When I was SPECing towards Ataraxia barracks, VS suddenly seized up and the framerate dropped to less than 1/s.)
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Those semi freezes seem to be par ATM for us guys on low spec cpu's hopefully safemodes optimizations will get us there :)

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2