several bugs and (constructive) criticisms in 3.9.1

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
Runner
Hunter
Hunter

several bugs and (constructive) criticisms in 3.9.1

Post by Runner »

Hi,
first - great work!

Second - criticism ;-) (constructive)

When destroying a ship there is this cool thing that it explodes but doesn't disappear but all the parts of the ship begin to drift away from each other. Cool. But the weapon which the ship had still fires! not cool because why then you need a ship if you can simply put firing weapons into space? ;-)

When fighting bounty missions - the target suddenly jumps to somewhere else - shouldn't jumping take least *some* time to recharge?

When fighting bounty missions and the target gets destroyed by confed fighters or other then I still get the reward. Shouldn't be.

Beam Weapons are still massively disbalancing the game. A mission lasts less then 30 seconds for me now:
10 seconds to find target destination by swapping through the possible targets with 'N',
5 seconds getting near enemy,
5 seconds pointing my two light(sic!) beams onto target and again
10 seconds getting back to base. This is not much fun, actually. :(

Cool feature: Passing by other space entities send funny text to me as greetings. Not funny is that it happens somewhere in the upper left corner without me noticing it ever. I noticed it actually only after half an hour playing... It also doesn't have any further effect and happens way too often.

Backgrounds: They look great. But they look so overwhelmingly (at least in the starting system) that I barely can see anything else unless it's directly in front of me. Maybe make them darker.

The jumpballs: Well, it has already been discussed. What I find most irritating is that because of their transparancy they look as if they were behind the background. Transparency should be a bit less then 50% at least.

Space - feeling: The feeling of 'being in space' might be hefty improved by adding speed- and direction lines like in Iwar or occasional junk flying around like in Wing Commander!

Well that would be it for now - I didn't mention the interface because I know it's being discussed all the time...

cu, Runner
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

yeah... I got tired of the unbalanced beam weapons too (though I hear 0.4.0 will be balanced to the milligram), so I modified my weapons_list.xml to make all beam weapons much less destructive (but still worthwhile if you like beam weapons).

If you don't want to change it yourself, go ahead and grab mine.

http://students.washington.edu/peteyg/b ... n_list.xml
Runner
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Runner »

Hi all,
One more thing occured to me:

After destroying a ship, it's flying apart pieces look very nice and clean and reflecting perfectly using whatever effects are there in the engine. But I think, they should look grey, non-reflecting and dirty, after all there was an explosion! Looks bizarre currently... ;-)

cya, Runner
Runner
Hunter
Hunter

Weaponslist

Post by Runner »

Just fetched the weaponslist but it's identical to the in-game one 3.9.1... You sure you uploaded the right one?
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

d'oh!

You are indeed correct. I've got so many Vegastrike directories on my hard drive... my bad.

Pretty much all i did was divide all the beam damage rates by like 5 or 6 or something. It really helped out.
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

I have 7 :D
FlyingAce
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by FlyingAce »

about the parts flying around, in the new version when all the redone ships will be released. (the nova is a preview of what's to come) hopefully they will have damage maps which will make the ship look all beat up as it takes damage.
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

I'll get started on that as soon as I finish all the specular maps for the new ships... heh.

And I think that what's to come will look quite a bit nicer than my new Nova model. Quite a bit.
Runner
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Runner »

So, where is it, your weaponsxml?

;-)
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

You lazy b*st*rd!

I'll upload the proper copy later this evening.

Don't say I never did anything for you.