[0.3.9.1] station menu loads creepy slow

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

[0.3.9.1] station menu loads creepy slow

Post by pontiac »

The menus for the Mission/Cargo/Ship are loading very slow (~1-2 minutes).
The rest of the game is very smooth to play.

I also noticed this behaviour in the 4.x data.

Pontiac
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

I noticed this too. Kind of like how the downgrade ship menu used to lag somewhat.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

yes this is really strange

the odd part is that on MacOS (half-speed slower processor there) and on linux it's really really fast.

it seems to be a windows only thing...and it's hte same code that used to load when you used to click on the mission thing
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Post by pontiac »

Maybe the compiler does this?

Just a guess

Pontiac
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

same compiler as of olde
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

Probably some slowdown from windows update... every time i use that thing i fear the massive slowdown that might (and has before) ensued.
pontiac
Elite
Elite

Post by pontiac »

hurleybird wrote:Probably some slowdown from windows update... every time i use that thing i fear the massive slowdown that might (and has before) ensued.
What do you mean with "windows update"?
the upgarde of the system, the window-refresh or something else ?
Pontiac
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

the automatic updating service in WinXP, you know, you DL stuff like bug fixes, sercurity hole coverups, performance enhancments, performance killers.
pontiac
Elite
Elite

Post by pontiac »

hurleybird wrote:the automatic updating service in WinXP, you know, you DL stuff like bug fixes, sercurity hole coverups, performance enhancments, performance killers.
Ohhhhh that one ;-)

I think i never saw that one in action....and yeah i'm surfing very unsafe here ;-) :twisted:

Pontiac

--
Win2k,some service packs, that's all...
Didn't change the system since 0.3.
TomCerul

Post by TomCerul »

I get to slow response on Win98. It's not the XP update that's doing it.

It doesn't seem to even be waiting for the disk. It just waits.
KleiZwei
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by KleiZwei »

I'm using win2k on this machine and I've also noticed that the menus as well as the save game option are considerably slower then in the previous release, however I only notice it to be about 20-25 seconds longer than before when most of the menus apeared instantly or within 3 seconds.

specificly the most notable wait is when you go from a main concourse to a weapons room.

so somewhere between this release and the previous one, something got botched.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

the strange thing is that it happens on win but on lin and mac it's still the same speed---and the code has not been touched
KleiZwei
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by KleiZwei »

Is it maybe an unseen memory leak, or a infinite loop created at some other point in the game? I'm assuming a number of things happen when you first goto a spacestation... for instance i would assume that your personal save is loaded into ram in case you decide to buy/sell supplies...

might it have something to do with the change in the way that ship files are handled? probably not...
This isn't the end of the universe, I've been to the end of the universe and trust me, this isn't it!