planet textures not appearing

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
FlyingAce
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

planet textures not appearing

Post by FlyingAce »

when I jump to a near planet and go to F6 camera mode, the planet's texture does not appear. when I say the texture does not appear I mean the planet is invisible. if it has more that one part (atmosphere) the other parts show up. it happens every time, but only for certian planets.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

strange--can you say which planet this is? and give the corresponding .system file for the system you're in when it happens (use the find file for *.system
and pick the right one)
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
FlyingAce
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by FlyingAce »

I've figured out the bug. it happens because of my large D'kora model. (doesn't happen with smaller models like nova) it affects every planet I've tried it on. (I tried it on various systems)
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

is this ship larger than most capships we have today?
FlyingAce
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by FlyingAce »

I was right about the problem being specific to my D'Kora, but not about it's size. When I use my model without it's glowmap the problem goes away.
thefryerk
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

See thru planets

Post by thefryerk »

I seem to be able to see thru all the planets, as if they had the same transparity as a jump ball.
To err is human, to really f*@# something up use a computer, with WinXp (Xtreem problem)
FlyingAce
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by FlyingAce »

I traced the problem down to the glow map, and found the following problems. Planet textures not appearing when in F6 camera mode, lack of screen refreshing at seemingly random times, ships with glow maps (and all other ships in the area) gradually becoming invisible as if there were a wall, which was itself, invisible, and caused everything it passed through to be invisible, going through your and all the surrounding ships. (I know it's silly, but I couldn't think of a better explaination.)
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

I have experienced similar behaviour.

But only with FlyingAce's Trek ships.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

I thought you said before that the problem didn't happen if you made the glow maps on a separate mesh (same geom) and then set the polygonoffset="3" variable in the <Mesh ... > header.

can you just do this until we can trace this problem down?: