Turret AI broken on player ships

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
enlightenment
Mercenary
Mercenary

Turret AI broken on player ships

Post by enlightenment »

Under the minimalist E build, the turret AI seems to be broken for player-controlled ships. While the turret AI can be activated and will shoot at targets while the player is in the turret, the turret will shut down as soon as the player returns to the main cockpit.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

odd-I didn't change this at all

can you use shift-P to force it to target your target
and o to toggle wether it's on or off?
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
enlightenment
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by enlightenment »

Shift-p adds another set of crosshairs around the target but doesn't direct the turrets to do much of anything. 'O' will turn the turrets on but they seem to deactivate when I return to the cockpit.

Here's an example. Start the following mission and fly to within 2000m of the mining base. Turn on the turrets then return to the cockpit and designate the mining base as the turret target. On my install nothing will happen next: neither the missile or capship disruptor turrets will engage the target.

Code: Select all

<mission>
	<variables>
		<var name="defaultplayer" value="blue"/>
		<var name="mission_name" value="A bombing mission" />
		<var name="system" value="sol_sector/polaris" />
		<var name="description" value="Use your powerful weapons to\destroy the many cruisers!" />
	</variables>
        <flightgroups>
 <flightgroup name="lilac" faction="a" type="vark" ainame="default" waves="1" nr_ships="1">
			<pos x="10000" y="10000" z="0"/>
			<rot x="0" y="0" z="0"/>
		</flightgroup>
        </flightgroups>
</mission>
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

what is this "return to the cockpit" business
this can all be done from within the cockpit

shift-P
o to get them to turn on

o to turn 'em off

no switching required
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
Shrike
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Shrike »

Let me take this opportunity to once again mention that I'd like an indicator of some sort on the hud to let me know when my turrets are activated. Sometimes, hitting o doesn't actually cycle the toggle, and I end up shooting at someone I didn't mean to.

When the toggle doesn't work, I have to target something then jump to an outside view and then hit o to see if my turrets continue to cycle around in search mode, or if they swing towards my target. This is the only way I know for sure if they are on or off.

And speaking of search mode, wouldn't it be less cpu intensive if when the turrets are turned off they "parked"? I.e., they just returned to center and stopped, rather than continuously turning around in a circle.