Turning thrusters never repairable

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
DarkVixen
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Turning thrusters never repairable

Post by DarkVixen »

I noticed that whenever my starship gets damaged to the point that hte turning/manuvering thrusters get damaged, I can not seem to fix them.

Docking at a base and going to upgrades then repairing/fixing each item and even buying refuel/repair does not work. The thurning thrusters never get fixed. Is there something I'm doing wrong or is it a bug?
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Re: Turning thrusters never repairable

Post by TBeholder »

Which version?
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

DarkVixen wrote:Docking at a base and going to upgrades then repairing/fixing each item and even buying refuel/repair does not work. The thurning thrusters never get fixed. Is there something I'm doing wrong or is it a bug?
They should get repaired by refuel/repair.

Try to launch VS with --debug=3 and get to the same situation, and then go to a base and fix everything, with refuel/repair last, and quit the game immediately. Then attach the stdout/stderr here (or to a bug report in the issue tracker).
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
DarkVixen
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by DarkVixen »

Version 0.5.1-r1

Sorry I deleted the saved game with that problem, but I will remember to do that the next time I get damaged thrusters (note that it is always the roll thrusters).
DarkVixen
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by DarkVixen »

I had damage turning thrusters this time and I ran vegastrike with the -debug=3 argument.

This is what I got on the terminal when I selected Basic Repair & Refuel and clicked on Buy.

Code: Select all

Unit file Basic Repair & Refuel not found
Assumed exit on unit LOAD_FAILED(if not quitting, report error)
Note that the above was printed when Basic Repair & Refuel was selected, nothing printed when I clicked on Buy.

...and no one fixed the turning thrusters on my Franklin, it still won't turn to the right (not roll but turn) and life support was not fixed either, where do I go to get a refund?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VGSailor
Hunter
Hunter

Post by VGSailor »

DarkVixen wrote:Version 0.5.1-r1

Sorry I deleted the saved game with that problem, but I will remember to do that the next time I get damaged thrusters (note that it is always the roll thrusters).
I am having the exact same problem (with the same version, compiled locally). My Plowshare now no longer rolls left. Well, it does, but only at about 1/10th the rate at which it rolls to the right. Selecting "Basic Repair and Refuel" has no effect.
VGSailor
Hunter
Hunter

More persistent damage

Post by VGSailor »

Okay, the roll thrusters seem to have been fixed, but now there is a more serious problem.

Looking at my ship's outfitting in the right side window on the upgrades screen, I see that I have Overdrive III, which is white, indicating that is in full repair. When I go to the Info screen, however, it indicates that my maximum overdrive speed is 150m/s, while my maximum thrust speed is 250. I have tried selling and re-buying the overdrive, and I get the same result. And, of course, I've already bought Basic Repair and Refuel dozens of times.

What's even worse is that the stats are the same during flight. If I max out my thrust and am cruising along at 250m/s and I press Tab, the ship actually slows down to 150m/s.

I've played this game a lot over the past few months, and this is the first time I've ever noticed behavior like this. Any suggestions?
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

The obvious question: what's your overdrive velocity without overdrive and with some other type? Also, is it a result of damage, or it was this buggy to begin with?

I observe the opposite: started a new game with split CSV - now mult_overdrive0* "Increases * thrust rating by -100%" but after installation thrust is sane, and governor changed to 750/1280 like it's supposed to do. :roll:
VGSailor
Hunter
Hunter

Post by VGSailor »

Okay, when I sold the overdrive and looked at the stats with no overdrive at all, the overdrive speed stayed at 150m/s. Overdrive I changed the speed to 240m/s. Overdrive II changed the overdrive speed to 255m/s and Overdrive IV changed it to 285m/s. Selling whichever overdrive and having none always puts it back at 150m/s.

When I first bought the Overdrive III, the overdrive speed was 486m/s, both on the screen and in practice. This just recently started happening.
VGSailor
Hunter
Hunter

Post by VGSailor »

I have a correction, and some more information.

I realized that, after I sold the Overdrive III and bought another Overdrive III, it actually does improve the max overdrive speed from the 150m/s to 270m/s. Still pretty pathetic compared to the 486m/s it had when I originally bought it....

Also, It seems that what's actually broken in my game now is Plowshares. When I look at new Plowshares for sale in the shipyards, they all say that they have a max overdrive speed of 150m/s. So, it doesn't look like it's my damaged ship that's bad, it's all Plowshares on the game. When I look at other ships, their max overdrive speeds seem to correspond properly to what they should be.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

That means that there was a change to units.csv where all units and their specs are defined.So all you need to do is a simple edit of that file ;) it's not that hard.One us will no doubt help you though it.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
VGSailor
Hunter
Hunter

Post by VGSailor »

Okay, I looked at units.csv, and I think I've distilled it down to the relevant information:

Code: Select all

,"Afterburner_Speed_Governor","Default_Speed_Governor"
"Key","meters/second","meters/second"
"Plowshare",60,60
"Plowshare.blank",60,100
"Plowshare.civvie",60,60
"Plowshare.stock",60,100
I couldn't find anything that referenced "Top Speed" or "Maximum Speed" or anything like that. So, does this look right? Or do you still need more information from the file?

Thanks!
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

What maximum speed? ;)
But yeah, looking at it, up to [r13496] Plowhare had Afterburner_Speed_Governor < Default_Speed_Governor. It's a bug.
May as well set to 100/100. Or 300 as in new CSV, really. Doesn't matter much - it's not like governor isn't bumped up in Travel mode. And a loaded Plowshare will not become more maneuverable. Then again, it also got built-in afterburner, in that even in "blank" configuration AB thrust is 27 MN vs 19 MN.
VGSailor
Hunter
Hunter

Post by VGSailor »

Well, yes, my short-term solution was to shut off the flight computer whenever I needed to really afterburn, but having to constantly worry about shutting off and turning on the FC during combat gets really annoying. It's nicer to just be able to hit the Tab key and get that extra burst, knowing that I'll slow back down to combat speed as soon as I let go.

Thank you for the help! I have now restored my Plowshare to its full capability. :)
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

I just turn off FC before fighting to use direct thrust - with FC it gets clamped. Then again, trying to fight on a Plowshare is pain either way - it's not like it can't carry enough of shields and weapons to fight back, but with Plowshare's maneuverability being hit with shield-piercing weapons like Crippler (pirates) or mass drivers (luddites) and paying for repair all the time is inevitable.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

After loading a game with vanilla config, had the same bug with Overdrive.
Got it. It gets "-30%" because it's "+70%" adds to those "-100%". Of course. (sigh). For some reason mult_* doesn't work as it should?

Added a bug ticket. Needs more digging.