*massive* Frame Rate drop - Possible shader bug?

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
Azereiah
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

*massive* Frame Rate drop - Possible shader bug?

Post by Azereiah »

Not entirely sure what in the engine causes this bug, but it's making the combat aspect of the game impossible.

Whenever fighting capital ships and Plowshares, I'm fine up until the point at which I start doing hull damage.
After that point, the ship begins emitting red flames of some sort - which, I suspect, are the cause of this issue, in that my frame rate drops to 1FPS or lower while looking anywhere in the direction of the ship.

I've tried disabling shaders, lowering geometry levels, lowering texture size, increasing everything to maximum - the problem persists.
Either the game is ramming entirely too many particles out into space at once, or these "flame" particles aren't being rendered correctly due to either a design issue or a code bug.

Interestingly enough, this problem only exists in the SVN version that I downloaded, and not in the installer version on the main page (incidentally, the installer version didn't play music and the prices,etc. are a little less balanced).

My system stats are as follows:
Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz*4
nVidia GeForce GT520 GPU
4GB of DDR2 RAM
300GB SATA HD
Windows XP SP3

I'm quite certain that I should be able to play this with zero problems of any sort, since most modern professionally-made games don't cause any trouble at all.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: *massive* Frame Rate drop - Possible shader bug?

Post by klauss »

Which version of VS? I guess you're not using SVN are you?
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Interestingly enough, this problem only exists in the SVN version that I downloaded, and not in the installer version on the main page (incidentally, the installer version didn't play music and the prices,etc. are a little less balanced).
He is using the svn version klauss :shock: reminds me of when damaged ships drop particles all the time need a change in the config file IIRC .

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Oops. Kinda missed that.

Weird thing, is that I had aggressively limited those particles on SVN.

I'll have to re-check I guess.

Or maybe the binary in SVN is a tad outdated?
Wing Commander Universe
Azereiah
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Azereiah »

Update:

It's a bit lesser, but it's noticeable when killing Redeemers too.
At roughly 300 meters, a burning Redeemer will lag me out as well.

It's definitely the 3D particle spam. Three times more textures are being put out than necessary, I think that a flat image rotated towards the camera would do well enough - though in the meantime, is there a setting I can use to reduce the number of these particles?

I'm not finding anything in vegastrike.config.

Edit: The version I'm using is 0.5.1, Build 13218
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Try adding "sparklegrowrate" with value "5" to the "graphics" section. That should moderate them considerably.
Wing Commander Universe
Azereiah
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Azereiah »

It worked, thankee very much.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

Lesser grow rate merely prevents it from spamming over the whole screen. "sparkles" remain HUGE. Often bigger than a ship itself.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

TBeholder wrote:Lesser grow rate merely prevents it from spamming over the whole screen. "sparkles" remain HUGE. Often bigger than a ship itself.
Well, they should, as leaking gasses expand in space, but there's something wrong about particle rate control that spams a bit too much, and results in too much overdraw.

I'll eventually have time to look into it. My plan is to get rid of the current way of launching particles (just a call to launch), and instead have emitters that keep some state (ie: last position they dropped a particle, so not too many particles get spawned close to each other, etc).

But that's a chore I didn't get around to yet.
Wing Commander Universe