Vega Strike crashes when trying to run windowed (linux)

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
Tggtt
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Vega Strike crashes when trying to run windowed (linux)

Post by Tggtt »

Hello all, I'm sorry if it's a duplicate but I couldn't find something specifically accurate for this.

At first, vega strike runs correctly and smoothly without a vegastrike.config file with full screen (congratulations for that).

I tried to make it run windowed by writing this config file:

Code: Select all

<vegaconfig>
<variables>
 <section name="data">
         <var name="colordepth" value="32"/>
         <var name="zfar" value="600000"/>
         <var name="fullscreen" value="false"/>
 </section>
</variables>
</vegaconfig>
When I try to run it, a blank window appears, and it closes.
If I start if from a terminal, the output is:

Code: Select all

$ vegastrike
Registering codec ogg.
 In path /usr/games
Vega Strike  
See http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html for license details.

GOT SUBDIR ARG = 
Found data in /usr/share/games/vegastrike
Using /usr/share/games/vegastrike as data directory
Using .vegastrike as the home directory
Found MODDIR = /usr/share/games/vegastrike/mods
USING HOMEDIR : /home/tggtt/.vegastrike As the home directory 
CONFIGFILE - Found a config file in home directory, using : /home/tggtt/.vegastrike/vegastrike.config
DATADIR - No datadir specified in config file, using ; /usr/share/games/vegastrike
SIMULATION_ATOM: 0.1
MISSION_NAME is empty using : test/test1.mission
running import sys
print sys.path
sys.path = [r"/usr/share/games/vegastrike/modules/builtin",r"/usr/share/games/vegastrike/modules/quests",r"/usr/share/games/vegastrike/modules/missions",r"/usr/share/games/vegastrike/modules/ai",r"/usr/share/games/vegastrike/modules",r"/usr/share/games/vegastrike/bases"] + sys.path
['/usr/lib/python27.zip', '/usr/lib64/python2.7/', '/usr/lib64/python2.7/plat-linux2', '/usr/lib64/python2.7/lib-tk', '/usr/lib64/python2.7/lib-old', '/usr/lib64/python2.7/lib-dynload']
testing VS randomrunning import sys
print sys.path
['/usr/share/games/vegastrike/modules/builtin', '/usr/share/games/vegastrike/modules/quests', '/usr/share/games/vegastrike/modules/missions', '/usr/share/games/vegastrike/modules/ai', '/usr/share/games/vegastrike/modules', '/usr/share/games/vegastrike/bases', '/usr/lib/python27.zip', '/usr/lib64/python2.7/', '/usr/lib64/python2.7/plat-linux2', '/usr/lib64/python2.7/lib-tk', '/usr/lib64/python2.7/lib-old', '/usr/lib64/python2.7/lib-dynload']
Creating scene manager...
Creating template manager...
  Initializing renderer...
Vertex shader was successfully compiled to run on hardware.

Fragment shader was successfully compiled to run on hardware.

Vertex shader(s) linked, fragment shader(s) linked.

ERROR: at programs/config.h
ERROR: included from programs/default.fp
Fragment Program Error: Failed to open file programs/default.fp
0 joysticks were found.

The names of the joysticks are:
FactionXML:LoadXML factions.xml
Compiling python module modules/dj.py
Creating planet niven A with texture sol/sun.texture and technique  - unitlevel <= 2
Vertex shader was successfully compiled to run on hardware.

Fragment shader was successfully compiled to run on hardware.

Vertex shader(s) linked, fragment shader(s) linked.

Compilation of technique fixed successful
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'Audio::FileOpenException'
  what():  Cannot open "techniques/fixed_simple.technique"
Aborted
I don't think it's important in this case, since it's working perfectly while in full screen, but I'm running Mageia 2 linux 3.3.8 x86_64, ATI radeon HD 4600 working with proprietary drivers. VIA VT82xx sound with free drivers.

Maybe I wrote the config incorrectly, then it wouldn't be a bug, please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Thanks.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Re: Vega Strike crashes when trying to run windowed (linux)

Post by pheonixstorm »

Does it crash wen you use the setup program to change from full screen to windowed?
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
Tggtt
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Tggtt »

Sorry, but, I don't have a vegastrike setup here. I looked for it earlier, I just wrote the vegastrike.config by myself (after seaching on how to do that). You can see its content there (my first post).

I forgot to mention that it's the stable 0.5.1 version.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

How did you install it?

The packages we distribute (none for Mageia AFAIK) have vssetup available, just not in the usual search path. I can't remember the exact path, but locate vssetup should tell you (if you have locate installed).

Also, check to see if you have a file /usr/share/games/vegastrike/programs/default.vp/fp. If you don't, it probably an installation or packaging error. If you do, it would be quite puzzling (it finds config.h but not default.fp?)
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Tggtt
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Tggtt »

Oh yes, sorry about that.
I have instaled it from the mageia packages.
default.fp is under /usr/share/games/vegastrike/programs/default.fp

vssetup works and allows to create a .config that works windowed. Therefore, I created the .config incorrectly. Perhaps it makes the vegastrike program to search the incorrect directories. I can post the generated vegastrike.config if it's important.

Forgive me please. You may wish to close this topic (to the administrator).
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome aboard Tggtt we are quite forgiving around here ;) You might find that the closed source video driver works much better than the open source radeon driver as it does not support shaders completely so you may still get fp errors.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Tggtt
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Tggtt »

Oh, thank you very much for forgiving my silly mistake.

Yes I know about the proprietary differences, it was a pain to install before ATI updated the drivers for the new xorg and I kept trying until I succeeded with the new version. The free driver doesn't simply has less shader support, it's also slow, it makes my offboard ATI card run slower than one of my other computers which has a simpler onboard intel IGP...
(to make clear, I think it would be nice that the free drivers were as good as the proprietary, I'm not claiming it's always the best option)

Anyway, this topic could also act as a suggestion. What do you think about the vegastrike executable suggesting to run vssetup when it doesn't find a vegastrike.config? it would avoid my mistake, and perhaps, others.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

We've had that packaging deficiency for a while, and so I've been thinking of possible ways to fix it. In our openSUSE packages, there's a launcher script that does just that. But it's hard to invoke vssetup after the first time with that configuration.

So I've toyed with a handy vegastrike-setup command in the search path (and with its own desktop icon), and I think it's the best way (mostly because it also supports mods quite easily), but I haven't gotten to updating our packages yet.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Changing this to solved then :)

And while i'm thinking about it... since it is your post Tggtt you could have changed it yourself ;) I think...
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

well... fixed I guess. Maybe I should put a *solved* in the mix as well for simple mistakes.