Scan: ..and cannot finish patrol mission

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
echoes91
Trader
Trader

Scan: ..and cannot finish patrol mission

Post by echoes91 »

Sometimes when I begin a patrol mission (especially if with more than 7 objectives) i read on the right "Scan: (nothing shown)" and since every object has a name I can't find a way to complete the mission other than reload and hope for existing targets. Take a look at the pic
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: Scan: ..and cannot finish patrol mission

Post by klauss »

We should create a ticket for it.

It's either system generation, or mission generation. But there aren't many places to look for the bug.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
AVBJim
Merchant
Merchant

Post by AVBJim »

I have not seen this on scan missions. But, I often get a similar problem with cargo missions. You have to dock with a ship that is not there. It never shows up when scrolling through the units, significant objects or mission objects. I tried a couple of times of jumping around the system to all major points (planets, jump points) and the unit never shows. The only solution I have found is to keep reloading until a unit I can find is listed.

Using current SVN version as of 20 Apr.
echoes91
Trader
Trader

Post by echoes91 »

I finally found the object. The messages above on the left said "scan shmrn owned" and my radar shown a "loading failed" shmrn object. The autopilot brought me there and i found an asteroid field that let me finish the mission. Since there wasn't a base inside, I don't know why it was shmrn's own and not a natural phenomena like similar things and why my radar didn't load it.
AVBJim
Merchant
Merchant

Post by AVBJim »

What system were you in? I had two cargo missions do the visit with nothing listed yesterday in the Beckett/Thrace system. After a reload, the visit was still there listing no unit/base/planet. Luckily, visiting the only two bases there, it cleared the mission. I am wondering if it is a problem in particular systems or just random.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I've seen those "load failed".

It would help if we gather all those "load failed" messages (they show up on the stdout/stderr IIRC), run VS with --debug maybe to see it all, and fix the associated entries in units.csv

Because those are broken entries in units.csv, it should be fixable rather straightforwardly.

We just need a list of broken entries.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
athomic1
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by athomic1 »

AVBJim wrote:I have not seen this on scan missions. But, I often get a similar problem with cargo missions. You have to dock with a ship that is not there. It never shows up when scrolling through the units, significant objects or mission objects. I tried a couple of times of jumping around the system to all major points (planets, jump points) and the unit never shows. The only solution I have found is to keep reloading until a unit I can find is listed.
You might want to start a new thread on this one. I think it's a different problem.
I've had it happen myself, as I imagine most people have, and I think what's happening is, the moment you jump into your destination system, the target you're assigned decides to "bolt for the Black", turning away from you and heading for the Far Edge of Nowhere just as fast as its li'l ol' SPEC drive will take it. I THINK, if you watch your targeter closely when you jump in, you might see your assigned target pop up for just a moment before it SPECs out of range to be replaced with something else.

This is the same behavior I've seen with cargo wingment. Not sure if the ones you hire will do the same, but if you order one to move to docking position, or even just break formation, it always seems to take to its heels and head for the far reaches. I think it's a problem with the wrong AI behaviors. Not sure if anyone's working on it.

Last bumped by echoes91 on Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:24 pm.