Frequent MS Windows 7 crash

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
Mr. Fahrenheit
Trader
Trader

Frequent MS Windows 7 crash

Post by Mr. Fahrenheit »

Currently using the latest 0.51 beta release on Windows 7, 64-bit.

I seem to get a crash with an error "cannot find AI script FacePerpendicularFast" in stderr (attached, w/stdout) reasonably often.

If more information would be handy, please let me know as this is my first post for a bug report.

As an aside, thanks for the efforts on this release, it has been fun re-acquainting myself with the game!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re: Frequent MS Windows 7 crash

Post by pyramid »

The missing FacePerpendicularFast AI script is a known issue, however it's not that missing script that crashes VS.

Please see Wiki:FAQ:Bugs for more info about analysing teh bug source.
Mr. Fahrenheit
Trader
Trader

Post by Mr. Fahrenheit »

Well, best I can come up with is attached to this reply. This is running with the --debug=3 flag, per the wiki. Dr. Watson is not available on Windows 7. The win7 automatic diagnostic pack doesn't seem to have anything to say about it.

'Interestingly', using the debug flag, the game crashes after picking a save game to load, but before it finishes loading things. Without the flag I can get as far as launching my ship before a crash.

I can include the save game file in question if it would help at all. If none of this is useful at all and I should just stop posting, let me know. Just trying to provide feedback in case anyone finds it useful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

I don't see nothing calling attention in the std files.
Does the game also crash when starting a new game?
Mr. Fahrenheit
Trader
Trader

Post by Mr. Fahrenheit »

Nope, no crash on new games. Nor a problem loading a different saved game, so I am at this point assuming the savegame file in question was corrupt. I have in the past encountered an issue where trying to get out of a specific system is problematic in that (apparently) some subset of objects within the system cause repeated game crashes and thought that might be at work this time. I will try and be a little more methodical before posting such a thread next time.

...that being said, I've still got the savegame in question should it be of any scholarly interest.

Thanks for the help!
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Glad it works with a new game.
Unless somebody else want to peek into, I won't have the muse to analyze in the coming time.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

We've had problems of savegame corruption in the past. They usually don't result in hard crashes, but lost upgrades, mission data, and stuff like that - but I guess a variant with a hard crash could be possible.

Is the savegame that got corrupted old or from another version/revision of VS?

It might be useful if you posted it, it would allow me to reproduce the bug locally (by loading it). If the savegame is corrupt, I doubt we can fix it, but at least VS shouldn't crash.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Mr. Fahrenheit
Trader
Trader

Post by Mr. Fahrenheit »

Here's the savegame file. It is from the latest (0.5.1) release for windows.

My hardware (in case it would be useful to know):
Intel Q6600 CPU, 8Gb memory, Nvidia 9600 GT graphics, Windows 7 (64-bit)

FWIW, I've been having a lot of fun with the latest release, please keep up the good work!

The only oddity to appear in the latest windows build was that after installation, all files are owned by 'admin' (root, whatever). Logging in as admin, changing the whole directory tree to allow users full control let things work fine for normal users. With widespread adoption of Win7, the windows installer might want to include ownership / permissions updates to reflect the now-non-XP environment.

Thanks again.