To: Windows users with sound issues

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

To: Windows users with sound issues

Post by pheonixstorm »

If you are having sound crashes or other sound related issues please delete the wrap_oal.dll from the vegastrike directory. If you ran the openal installer when you installer VS then you should be set as the dll gets installed when VS does. As with all windows software though it will look for required dll files in the installation folder first rather than the windows system32 folder.

Hope this solves whatever sound issues there might be.

*EDIT* Seems most of the problems were related to OpenAL. Quick recap from the fix I posted farther down

So, after much searching I think I found a fix for yet another non VS related dll caused crash. Heres what I found. Try it out and let me know if it fixes your problems.
So after searching the UT3 forums for like issues (ME and UT3 use the same engine) I stumbled across a post that stated the following:

1) in /program files/Mass Effect/Binaries locate the OpenAL32.dll and wrap_oal.dll files

2) Rename OpenAL32.dll to OpenAL32.bak

3) Rename wrap_oal.dll to OpenAL32.dll

4) Launch as Admin by using the MassEffect.exe

5) Enjoy
Try launching VS normally (no admin as from step 4) and if it doesn't work try again, this time as admin.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
ddt
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Re: To: Windows users with sound issues

Post by ddt »

Deleting that wrapper .dll had NO effect on sound on MY OS, (win vista, 32 on toshiba laptop with Intel duo-core.)
mastra
Trader
Trader

Post by mastra »

Also on my PC it doesn't work.
My specs:
- Core 2 Quad CPU Q9300 2.5GHz
- 4GB RAM
- NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 1GB

Tha game simply crashes on startup without showing the first graphic screen.

Thank you very much!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Does a windows error message pop up? Did you run the openal installer before running VS?

Additional info needed: OS type, 32/64 bit

If you turn the sound off does it still crash?
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
mastra
Trader
Trader

Post by mastra »

I installed the openal sw, run the setup to disable both music and sound and then launched VS.
A win error message saying "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information" pop up.
My OS is Win XP SP3 32bit with all patch installed.
I tried different combinations enabling and disabling sound and music but with no result.
Every time the same error pop up...
Thank you very much for your support.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

When that you get that pop up it should have something you can click on for more details (i think, been awhile since I've gotten that particular error). If it does can you post a copy of whatever error is generated? The error you are getting is rare but very annoying and im not exactly sure what has caused it either now or in the past, but I will try to find it and solve it :)

A few last minute items. If you would run a dxdiag so I can get your full system information. Probably wont help, who knows. Are you using the binaries from the svn or the released installer? I'm thinking the issue your having isn't actually a sound issue but more of some odd problem VS is having with your runtime libraries. Im about to compile a new binary based off the latest svn. If you haven't used the svn before its not too difficult, just grab the win32 directory and you'll have everything you need to play. Maybe svn will work for you (if the released installer doesn't).
mastra
Trader
Trader

Post by mastra »

In the attachments you can find all the informations.
Thank you very much for your help.
P.S. If you can help me setting up the environment I can also help a little with sw (never worked on windows but lot of code for embedded systems... used mainly low level languages but I know also C++ and some Javascript).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mastra
Trader
Trader

Post by mastra »

Forgot: I tried to update to svn 13218 but with no result. :(
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

So, after much searching I think I found a fix for yet another non VS related dll caused crash. Heres what I found. Try it out and let me know if it fixes your problems.
So after searching the UT3 forums for like issues (ME and UT3 use the same engine) I stumbled across a post that stated the following:

1) in /program files/Mass Effect/Binaries locate the OpenAL32.dll and wrap_oal.dll files

2) Rename OpenAL32.dll to OpenAL32.bak

3) Rename wrap_oal.dll to OpenAL32.dll

4) Launch as Admin by using the MassEffect.exe

5) Enjoy
Try launching VS normally (no admin as from step 4) and if it doesn't work try again, this time as admin.

And for some lite reading:
DirectSound3D on Windows Vista

With Microsoft's decision to remove the audio hardware layer in Windows Vista, legacy DirectSound 3D games will no longer use hardware 3D algorithms for audio spatialization. Instead they will have to rely upon the new Microsoft software mixer that is built into Windows Vista. This new software mixer will give the users basic audio support for their old Direct Sound games but since it has no hardware layer, all EAX® effects will be lost, and no individual per-voice processing can be performed using dedicated hardware processing.

EAX has become the de facto standard for real-time effects processing. It has been incorporated in hundreds of games and has become the method of choice for game developers wanting to add interactive environment effects to their titles. Some of the best selling games of all time use the EAX extensions to DirectSound 5.0 and beyond, including Warcraft3, Diablo2, World of Warcraft, Half Life, Ghost Recon, F.E.A.R. and many others. Under Windows Vista, these games will be losing the hardware support that came as standard under the previous Windows Operating Systems, and will no longer provide real-time interactive effects, making them sound empty and lifeless by comparison to the way they sound on Windows XP.

In some cases, where a game specifically looks for a hardware audio path, it may even fall back to plain stereo output. This will be a very different landscape for 3D audio than the one that both Creative Labs and Aureal Technologies® pioneered 8 years ago. Both companies dedicated hardware power to rendering increasing numbers of 3D voices, with each voice taking full advantage of HRTF (Head Related Transfer Function) technology, wave tracing and other advanced processing. With the native Windows Vista audio APIs, all this advanced, hardware-based 3D audio processing will be inaccessible. Instead, basic mapping to a generic speaker placement scheme will be employed, and all interactive processing and rendering will be dependent on the host CPU. While it is true that CPUs continue to get faster, the Vista audio architecture intentionally simplifies things, such that the potential processing load for multiple 3D voices is limited. Inevitably there is a tradeoff. This will be especially true for gamers that have come to depend on the kind of high-end 3D audio experience available from products like the SoundBlaster X-Fi, with its advanced headphone 3D audio processing and dedicated hardware DSP effects. For gamers this would be the most noticeable loss in Windows Vista, and it would be a definite step backwards for PC gaming audio if developers only had the option of using native Windows Vista audio APIs. However, they do have a legitimate, proven alternative in OpenAL.
mastra
Trader
Trader

Post by mastra »

Thanks a lot for your help, but also this didn't work.
In the attachment you can find the new error. Looks like it's no longer related to the same file...
I didn't try to log as admin because I configured my account to have full admin permissions.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Actually it did fix one error only to give you another. Damn annoying that... So now its something to do with the VC runtime libraries instead of the sound library...

Hmm... this one may not be an easy fix :(
ScottHorn
Trader
Trader

Post by ScottHorn »

This is the exact same problem I'm having.
See my post here: http://forums.vega-strike.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17870
I had the same error initially as OP, and renamed wrap_oal.dll. Next time I tried to start I got the error referring to msvcr90.dll. 0.50 and 0.51 both work fine, this is just the SVN. One thing I can add is that on or about Jan 7 I uninstalled my SVN because all commerce centers seemed to have disappeared (when I say uninstall, I really just deleted bin and data directories and re-downloaded the SVN. Up until that point the SVN worked well (besides the commerce centers disappearing). It's only after I redownloaded the SVN that this problem showed up. I've tried running both the openal installer and the vcredist-somethingsomething installer. Any ideas?