Difficult to read introductory text.

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
huminado
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Difficult to read introductory text.

Post by huminado »

As a first impression of the game after just downloading it and looking at the introduction - wow. SUCK.

At least put the text on a black background so it's easy to read. Preferably adjust font size too.

Good luck with this project. Getting past the annoyances (BOGGY planetary docking too) REALLY TURNS ME OFF to this game.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: Difficult to read introductory text.

Post by klauss »

huminado wrote:At least put the text on a black background so it's easy to read.
Which text where?

Could you please post a screenshot?

With a screenshot precisely pointing at the problem it should be a trivial fix.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
huminado
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by huminado »

sorry i'm having trouble taking a screen-shot. I'm having trouble finding how to put the game into windowed mode.

So to answer your question: The introductory text is in the window when you first start the game, there's a menu item "Introduction". If you click it, the text is difficult to read, at least for me. If you have trouble finding that screen, look at page 14 of the player's guide PDF file. It's the 2nd menu item from the bottom.

This game has enormous potential to be a lot of fun. I found myself playing it for several hours today, and enjoying very much when I got a better ship. However, the whole experience is painfully unintuitive, and will turn off many potential players.

For example, I complained about the bogging dock-time on the planets. This is because I was using the intro ship, which is slow. The real fix would be to show the nearest dock range (next to DOCK:) or color the range (in the lower right corner) red when not within docking range and green when it is in docking range.

There is so much more to say - it's really a great game with many features. I hope you can fix "first impression" bugs eventually - or it will turn people off too soon. The music control interface must be fixed (so I can shut the music off immediately in the menus - rather than having to launch my ship just to turn the music down).

Okay I must stop. Sorry.
breese
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by breese »

huminado wrote:For example, I complained about the bogging dock-time on the planets. This is because I was using the intro ship, which is slow. The real fix would be to show the nearest dock range (next to DOCK:) or color the range (in the lower right corner) red when not within docking range and green when it is in docking range.
In the lower right corner, there is a "Range:" field showing the distance to the selected object. When you are near a planet, then a "Docking:" field appears above the "Range:" field. This shows the distance to the docking zone.
huminado
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by huminado »

You must mean latest repository. I'm running "latest stable 0.5.0", and there's just "DOCK:" under the "JUMP:" label. But I don't see "Docking:".
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

huminado wrote:So to answer your question: The introductory text is in the window when you first start the game, there's a menu item "Introduction". If you click it, the text is difficult to read, at least for me. If you have trouble finding that screen, look at page 14 of the player's guide PDF file. It's the 2nd menu item from the bottom.
Alright, added a tracker item for that, it should be easy.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe