Are planets supposed to look like that?

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Are planets supposed to look like that?

Post by shenle »

Not sure this is the right place to post it, but this looks like a bug to me. Haven't actually looked at a planet for quite some time (been busy trying to get a binary compiled at all), and now at rev 12983 this is what I see:

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/1773 ... hot0qp.png

Closer look:

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/1788 ... hot2ma.png

Even closer:

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/6757 ... hot3um.png

I personally find that unappealing. :)

(the data directory was freshly checked out; this is a 32-bit Win32 binary running on XP SP3, svn rev 12983)

Edit: also the green square docking markers don't show up anymore. Have they been eliminated, or is this another bug?
make me a sandwich
make: *** No rule to make target 'me'. Stop.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Re: Are planets supposed to look like that?

Post by pheonixstorm »

Two possible bugs. Was this the svn vs.exe or the vsnopgo.exe or self compile?
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

After checking out both exes I came to a simple conclusion... If you run setup and check the video level. Does it say <b>Very High Detail</b>? Mine was set to this and I got the same planet texture bug. I did NOT however have a problem with the green docking box, at least not at serinity. I do not believe planets will show one far out and when you get close enough to activate one you cant see it due to the size anyway (I think).

Anyway, I set my video level to extreme detail and the planet problem went away. I also noticed that I am not having any shader glitches with the docked llama or serinity right now but I AM still getting the same error message. My shaders are set to extreme as well.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by shenle »

It's a self compile-nonpgo from 12983. I do have green boxes at space stations/asteroid bases etc but not at planets.

Yes, with extreme detail/extreme shader the texturing problem went away - altogether. The planets are now black blobs with no texture at all. Texturing is correct in the dock in both cases though.

Same no texture planets happen at all texture levels with extreme shader on. At nicest shader/extreme texture I get something new (sorta):
http://img573.imageshack.us/img573/9362 ... hot4am.png

(Look! It's the Death Star!)
make me a sandwich
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

IIRC, the lack of planet dock boxes is there since I first got the svn version, long ago; I noticed it but I thought it was a feature, as the HUD shows more relevant information (the docking distance).

This to say that, even if it was a bug, it hasn't been introduced by the latest code contributions; don't blame yourselves ;)
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by shenle »

BTW this only happens on Windows; here's a screenshot from the same svn revision under Ubuntu:
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/1858 ... hot0ma.png
(extreme shader/extreme texture)
make me a sandwich
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

On my trip to serinity the textures for the lava and rocky planets looked fine.. are you sure you are not on the darkside of the planet when it shows up dark or black?

Anyway.. the initial design of VS was done on linux so oddities in windwos in a norm sadly...
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by shenle »

Nope, I went to the other side and looked and it's the same. Looks like a mini-black hole from all directions.

Planets used to be rendered correctly on Windows in VS versions from about 1-1.5 years ago, so it's something about more recent changes.
make me a sandwich
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Need klauss to look at this thread. ;)
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by shenle »

I just tried the exe from the svn on a completely different Vista 32-bit machine, and I get the exact same artifacts.

Now I'm just testing various texture/shader combinations.

1. With extreme detail on, all shader levels make planets just black blobs.

2. With very high detail on, all shader levels make the planets randonly striped as in the pictures above.

3. With average shader/high detail... ay ay ay ay the HUD is broken (even though the planet is more sensibly textured):
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/8660 ... hot0da.png
http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/2844 ... hot1re.png

4. Extreme shader/high detail: HUD still broken, planet texture shows some breakdown:
http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/203/screenshot3i.png

5. Average shader/medium detail: HUD is OK but planet shows same artifacts as above (4) - I skipped the screenshot.

6. Simple shader/medium detail: no change from (5)

I think I'll stop here. All tests on a Vista/32 machine with a nvidia 9600GT video card, latest drivers from nvidia.
make me a sandwich
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by shenle »

I wonder if this has something to do with this problem. Excerpt from stderr:

Code: Select all

Creating planet Atlantis with texture planets/ocean.texture|planets/ocean_specular.texture|planets/earth/earth_clouds.texture and technique earth - unitlevel > 2
0(77) : warning C7011: implicit cast from "vec3" to "float"
0(85) : warning C7011: implicit cast from "vec4" to "vec3"

Fragment info
-------------
Full content of logs attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
make me a sandwich
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Yeah.. back to a shader issue. The original shader issues I had were with the llama on the atlantis landing screen and the serinity. Now it looks like its the Atlantis planet that is having the problems but not the others...
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by shenle »

Well it happens in Linux too.

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/3905 ... hot0el.png

The above screenshot was taken on the same machine as the Vista installation (see post above) but this time running Ubuntu 9.10 with a freshly checked out and compiled VS 12984. It has a Nvidia 9600GT card, and uses video driver v.185. The vegastrike.config uses nicest shader and very high video resolution.

And with extreme shader/extreme video I get black blob planets, exactly as in Windows.

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/9116 ... hot1gi.png

Attached are the stderr and stdout from running with extreme/extreme and getting black planets. I may have the names of the logs switched .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by shenle on Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
make me a sandwich
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by shenle »

Bottom line, both machines I have tested VS on in Windows gave me texturing artifacts. Both have Nvidia cards (one 8800GT, the other 9600GT). The one with 9600GT gives me the same artifacts in Linux (32-bit Ubuntu 9.10).

The only other machine I used for testing has an ATI video card (radeon HD 3200 - it's a laptop). In Windows I have no results since I have no version of VS that runs in Win7/64 (that's another discussion). However in 64-bit Ubuntu I see no texturing artifacts.
make me a sandwich
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

This seems to be nothing more than the same shader glitch I first saw with the launch bay llama and the exterior of serinity. Its just odd that it changed from affecting the serinity and llama to affecting atlantis.

I did notice that along the edges of the planet you can see the planets texture (as if looking at the dark side of the planet) when you are fairly close but from a great distance its all black. For whatever reason our shaders are just messed up.. due to bad drivers or for whatever reason. So the issue goes back to chuck and klauss to see why our shaders are doing this as they are the two with the greatest knowledge of vegastrikes shaders.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

nvidia 260 drivers resolved the shader compile error but the planet still looks rather black... I'm going to go back to the pre-merge code and see if it is a problem before then. I know the shader issue was, but not sure if the planet issue is partially related or entirely a shader issue.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Ok, I think I can deal with a busted planet rather than a working planet and everything else looking white.

I'm going to work on this a bit adding pieces back in until I can figure out what was added in that broke the planet and fixed everything else.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I'll give it a look. First I'll have to reproduce the bug here, but I suspect that last commit to sphere_generic.cpp, so I'll try reproducing the bug, and once reproduced, I'll try reverting that change to see if it gets fixed.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Its not the change to sphere_generic.. I already checked that one off. Its either one of the diffs, radar, or somewhere else in the mesh anim code. But whatever it is it fixes the other white texture issue so If we find what causes it we really need to find what exactly the issue was to begin with so we can fix both the white texture issue and the odd planet bug.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Ok, I managed to reproduce the bug.

Now I'm selectively reverting files from that last commit trying to isolate the bug. I'll let you know what I find.
Wing Commander Universe
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I just committed what here in my computer works as a fix.

Let me know if it fixes things over your side :)
Wing Commander Universe
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by shenle »

Vista/32, extreme/extreme: ships are again white on top in the dock, but planets appear correctly textured. Same for very high/nicest.

stderr still shows

Creating planet Atlantis with texture planets/ocean.texture|planets/ocean_specular.texture|planets/earth/earth_clouds.texture and technique earth - unitlevel > 2
0(15) : warning C7555: 'varying' is deprecated, use 'in/out' instead
0(16) : warning C7555: 'varying' is deprecated, use 'in/out' instead
0(81) : warning C7533: global variable gl_LightSource is deprecated after version 120
0(103) : warning C7533: global variable gl_TexCoord is deprecated after version 120
0(158) : warning C7533: global variable gl_SecondaryColor is deprecated after version 120
0(161) : warning C7533: global variable gl_Color is deprecated after version 120
0(167) : warning C7533: global variable gl_FragColor is deprecated after version 120

Fragment info
-------------
0(81) : warning C7533: global variable gl_LightSource is deprecated after version 120
0(103) : warning C7533: global variable gl_TexCoord is deprecated after version 120
0(158) : warning C7533: global variable gl_SecondaryColor is deprecated after version 120
0(161) : warning C7533: global variable gl_Color is deprecated after version 120
0(167) : warning C7533: global variable gl_FragColor is deprecated after version 120

Fragment info
-------------

0(13) : warning C7555: 'varying' is deprecated, use 'in/out' instead
0(14) : warning C7555: 'varying' is deprecated, use 'in/out' instead
0(40) : warning C7533: global function texture2DLod is deprecated after version 120
0(75) : warning C7533: global variable gl_LightSource is deprecated after version 120
0(98) : warning C7533: global function textureCubeLod is deprecated after version 120
0(104) : warning C7533: global variable gl_TexCoord is deprecated after version 120
0(204) : warning C7533: global variable gl_Color is deprecated after version 120
0(223) : warning C7533: global variable gl_FragColor is deprecated after version 120

Fragment info
-------------
0(13) : warning C7555: 'varying' is deprecated, use 'in/out' instead
0(14) : warning C7555: 'varying' is deprecated, use 'in/out' instead
0(40) : warning C7533: global function texture2DLod is deprecated after version 120
0(75) : warning C7533: global variable gl_LightSource is deprecated after version 120
0(98) : warning C7533: global function textureCubeLod is deprecated after version 120
0(104) : warning C7533: global variable gl_TexCoord is deprecated after version 120
0(204) : warning C7533: global variable gl_Color is deprecated after version 120
0(223) : warning C7533: global variable gl_FragColor is deprecated after version 120

make me a sandwich
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

shenle wrote:Vista/32, extreme/extreme: ships are again white on top in the dock, but planets appear correctly textured. Same for very high/nicest.
White on top? Do you have a screenshot of that? It sounds like it could be some lighting bug (not texturing).
shenle wrote: stderr still shows

Fragment info
-------------

[/quote]

I'm well aware of those warnings, they're not any trouble. I could get rid of them, but some old shader compilers from ATI would break, we'd need ATI-compatible versions of the shaders before that.

I was working on that precisely when my computer gave up, I'll probably resume my work but not soon (I'm close to vacations time... :D ).
Wing Commander Universe
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Commit by klaussfreire :: r12985 /trunk/vegastrike/src/gfx/ (4 files):
Reverting planetary flight-related commits that were troublesome:
  • Stuff in mesh_xml: it hurt tangentspace computation by changing the
    defaults of some normal/tangent-related flags
  • Stuff in sphere_generic: created irregular and randomly perturbed
    spheres that hurt both tangengspace computations and created seams,
    plus who knows what else. The code wasn't production-ready by any
    measure.
Emphasis mine.

Indeed, strook's work (as promising as it may be) was way too alpha to be hitting trunk... there's a lesson to be learnt there phoenixstorm.

Doesn't strook have his own branch now?
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by shenle »

klauss wrote:
shenle wrote:Vista/32, extreme/extreme: ships are again white on top in the dock, but planets appear correctly textured. Same for very high/nicest.
White on top? Do you have a screenshot of that? It sounds like it could be some lighting bug (not texturing).
Starting hangar 12984:
http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/1701/24062373.png

Starting hangar 12985:
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/4638/90973918.png

I have seen the same a few months/couple dozen svn revisions ago.
make me a sandwich