Savegame (r12743): does it not contain all the player data?

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Savegame (r12743): does it not contain all the player data?

Post by shenle »

I was playing last night my newly built binary from r12743, made a few credits, upgraded the ship and started exploring. Saved the game before going to sleep. This morning I transferred the savegame on a USB stick and put it on my laptop, that has the same build of the game just never played. Launched the game and selected "load game" then selected the savegame from yesterday. I noticed that messages said "generating universe" which it shouldn't really do when loading a savegame, should it? Also, my credits were there but all the equipment I had added to the ship had vanished.

I'm attaching stdout and error.txt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
make me a sandwich
make: *** No rule to make target 'me'. Stop.
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Re: Savegame (r12743): does it not contain all the player data?

Post by CLoneWolf »

if you focused on the "save" folder, you may have overlooked its sibling, "serialized_xml".
I see own fleet's ship related csv's there, but it might still impact on the rest of game loading somewhow (as it sees that something is missing, hence probably triggering the universe regeneration), worth checking, IMHO...
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by shenle »

Makes more sense now, however I still think that as a strategic feature all of the player data (including current ship, current universe, current position etc) should be contained in one file. Eventually we do want VegaStrike to become a larger audience game, and users will want to copy their savefiles from one computer to another, as it's done for any game that supports saving... It will only be confusing if more than one file needs to be copied/restored.
make me a sandwich
make: *** No rule to make target 'me'. Stop.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I was just noticing and debugging the same issue.

It should not regenerate the dynamic universe, something's wrong.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

I don't know how much it would impact on the current code, but then a workable solution might be this:
keeping all the SavedGameN42 files in just 1 folder instead of the current 2 cousins (children of 2 siblings).

At first, players would still need just 1 copy action, even if of a whole folder; then, a further step might be taken: compressing the folder with a standard tool (so people wanting to alter their saved game would still be able to expand the file, make their changes and pack it again) and implement decompression as the saved game is loaded.

This way, even conversion of old saved games into the new format would just be a script step away from possible.

I keep thinking further and editing...
If the compression step was taken directly, there would be no preemptive need to put all the files in the same folder, decompression could place them in the current cousins...

On a side note, even without incomplete game file transfers, I've occasionally had the universe rebuild happen when reloading a saved game.