Video glitches latest SVNs (12720-12735)

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Video glitches latest SVNs (12720-12735)

Post by shenle »

I am only listing 12710-12735 here because this is the range I tested, but it may very well extend more backwards. these are the binaries I compiled myself from SVN, see the "compiling help" forum.

Start a new campaign game, launch ship. The center of the display is white, and when you rotate the ship around it looks like there is a giant white cube in the middle of the screen, rotating on one corner. Around it, the display flashes white. The white cube in the middle also covers some elements of the interface. I tried to take a screenshot of it, this is the best I got.

The same happens in windowed and fullscreen more, at all resolutions I tested and both 32 and 16bpp depths. Disabling the shaders and lowering the video detail also don't make a difference.

The laptop I'm testing this on has an ATI 3200 integrated video chipset. I have updated the drivers to the latest available, but because of the OS (Win7/64bit) I have very few choices when it comes to drivers. I think this is a different issue from ATI cards having problems with shaders (see the other thread in this forum), since it happens with shaders off as well, and the game doesn't crash but is unplayable.

(edit) I had to upload the image zipped because the forum software doesn't like .png files.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by shenle on Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
make me a sandwich
make: *** No rule to make target 'me'. Stop.
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Re: Video glitches latest SVNs (12710-12735)

Post by shenle »

I have tested the same binary on a completely different system, WinXP/32bit with a nVidia video card and the latest drivers. Still has the same glitch. It does not appear to be something related to the particular drivers, video card or 32- vs 64-bit.

Also, whether I compile with VC .NET 2003 or with the VC toolkit doesn't make a difference, both show the same behavior.
make me a sandwich
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by shenle »

Even worse news.

I have compiled the latest revision (12737) on Ubuntu 9.10, and it does the same thing.

Attached a screenshot in Ubuntu immediately after launch. Note that the background is all white, but the planet appears normal. There is also a whitish blur over elements of the HUD, text boxes etc. Also attached output and error logs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
make me a sandwich
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

svn up and try again?
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

That's worrisome. I always verify the code builds for me, in Ubuntu, before committing.
Your /data is from svn and is up to date?

Ehmmm.... Most importantly... You defined NV_CUBEMAPS or whatever it is?

In Ubuntu, your config command would go something like,

./config --enable-release --disable-debug --enable-cubemap --with-boost=system

EDIT:
Compiling with cubemaps is mandatory since 12720, as I trashed the old backgrounds with prejudice.
The white background would be the result of a "missing texture", which would be the exact case.
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by shenle »

Drats.

I'll see what I can do about the VC++ build today; Ubuntu will have to wait until tonight.

Wonder what adding NV_CUBE_MAP to compiler options will have in VC++
(edit) nothing, still working on it.
make me a sandwich
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by shenle »

Trying to compile cube_map, I get the following error:

Code: Select all

\vegastrike\vs_cubemap_gen\src\filter\filter_impl\../filter.h(5) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: '../units/radians.h': No such file or directory
Process terminated with status 2 (28 minutes, 38 seconds)
1 errors, 154 warnings
The offending code is:

Code: Select all

filter.h

#include "../units/radians.h"
#include "../units/steradians.h"
units/ does not contain any files "radians.h" or "steradians.h" (looks like they were deleted in revision 12719)
make me a sandwich
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Don't even try to compile the things in vs_cubemap_gen. It's too early for that yet. In any case it's not required for running the game.

All you have to do to get cubemap support in the engine is #define NV_CUBE_MAP. You could add it to config.h, or you can add it to the compiler defines in project settings.

I'd rather add it to config.h.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by shenle »

Success! I added NV_CUBE_MAP to the compiler #defines in project properties, and it compiled correctly. The binary looks like it's running fine, with backgrounds and all.

I'm attaching the code::blocks project file that compiles correctly revision 12742
make me a sandwich
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

i wonder why your ubuntu system borked the same way... does autoconf still make cubemaps an option? if so this is a bug as cubemaps are not an option anymore. The textures for non-cubemap backgrounds dont exist in HEAD anymore.

non-cubemap needs to be the option, either that or it has to be a runtime config option set in vegastrike.config. Cubemap needs to be default in autoconf land. It already is in cmake (in fact, right now i dont have it set as an option).
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by shenle »

I was wondering the same thing, why is --enable-cubemap still an option if this is the default now.
make me a sandwich
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

shenle wrote:I was wondering the same thing, why is --enable-cubemap still an option if this is the default now.
cuz we're kinda moving to cmake and autoconf is becoming more and more deprecated. eventually it will go the way of the dodo.

If you do any work in linux-land, i would suggest installing cmake and ccmake (via the cmake curses ui package) and building the project that way. Get yourself familiar with it as it will be the same thing you use in windows land soon.
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by shenle »

I've noticed that the new builds use a much smaller font than before; instead of the nice big easily readable font that I've been used to since, well, forever - now text is barely readable.
make me a sandwich
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Re: Video glitches latest SVNs (12720-12735)

Post by chuck_starchaser »

What about that new font that charlieg mentioned? Would it be hard to incorporate it?
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

On my end the font looks bigger not smaller. This compared to .5
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by shenle »

I'm not exactly sure what the problem is with the font, it may be something about the data directory on one of my computers. The same binary file on my laptop displays the usual VS font whereas on my desktop it displays a tiny font, I think Arial at 5-6 points at the most. It wasn't doing this until about 1 week ago when this happened after one of the SVN updates.
make me a sandwich