milky_way.xml Revision:(12574)

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
snow_Cat
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

milky_way.xml Revision:(12574)

Post by snow_Cat »

^- - ^ I was just browsing the datafiles and noticed that system:"Badb" has designation:"Gamma Cra", just like system:"Gamma Cra"

I'm reading system.xml file sector-by-sector now to see if there are any other internal inconsitencies, and will post my results.
snow_Cat
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Re: milky_way.xml Revision:(12574)

Post by snow_Cat »

^ · · ^ In just Vega Sector there are more than 120 repeated system designations; plus another 30+ catologe-designation/unique-system-names.
I'll attach a map in a minute.

LOL, we have a Peros -- but shouldn't it contain two asteroids and an ocean world?

There are 1310 unique systems in Vega Sector, 763 jumpgates connecting 231 systems (156 in/75 out), of which and 163 (in) can be escaped from... wait a minute...
  • "Alpha_Cepheus"
    • "Sol/Crete"
  • "BPM_78844"
    • "Torkelsen/Hanish"
  • "GD_1212"
    • "Plymouth/Pyrrhus"
    • "Plymouth/Rhodos"
    • "Plymouth/Tenedos"
    • "Sol/Artemis"
    • "Sol/Deidameia"
    • "Sol/Leto"
    • "Sol/Viln_82"
  • "Iota_Pegasi"
    • "Sol/Rhea"
  • "Merrell"
    • "Plymouth/Agder"
    • "Plymouth/Jotumhein"
    • "Vormund/Eagle_base"
    • "Vormund/Nd-57"
    • "Vormund/Oxford"
  • "Pi_Psa"
    • "Sol/Uncultivable_937"
  • "Psi(1)_Aquarius"
    • "Sol/LP_645-46"
    • "Sol/Uncultivable_914"
  • "Ross_303"
    • "Sol/Rhesus"
These systems are (so far as vega goes) Evacuation only.

Infact there is no link within Vega to any of the 1147 inescapable systems of doom within.

The attached map is in both DOT (GraphViz) and SVG format. The number of sides on a figure represents the number of jumps out, and oval means two, a circle one, a solid dot none. The number of rings represents the number of planets, dotted means none. Systems have been color coded to match the default faction, as has the gates leading to them.

Edit: not included are the systems described by txt files.

Based on BDoty's earlier map-making methods.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

careful in debugging such things, not that it's wrong (i highly suspect these are errors), but un-escapable systems are a possibility in setups where the game actually has a real campaign and missions lead you via cutscenes to settings where things take place that the campaign doesn't want interference from outside influences and such, or let the player leave for reasons of continuity in the campaign / mission.

So one can imagine where these situations would be desirable and not a bug, but like i said, i doubt that was the case. Since no such campaign and missions really exist outside of our test missions, not in all the years it's been in existance :) .

This is good work though, gonna be interesting to see how it gets fixed.
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.
snow_Cat
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by snow_Cat »

I'm begining to see a pattern to these repeated names. Did we get a number of complaints regarding politics, religion and (other) taboo names?

If this is deliberate (self) censorship, then I would like permission to change the repeted designations to either match the system name (where system name is a catologue number) or to add a prime mark to the extra X system.

Besides, the most powerful cutscenes are those where the player is in full control of the viiewport, but poweless to stop what is happening.

Read sector Sol, map not rendered.

1710 systems
0808 unique system designations
1425 systems of inescapable doom
0285 escapable systems
1136 jumpgates
0133 jumpgates exit sector