Nebula messed up all ships: a bug?

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
Velko
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Nebula messed up all ships: a bug?

Post by Velko »

So, here's the story...

I was flying towards a refinery to refuel my Dostoyevsky and autopiloted there with SPEC. When the SPEC drive ended, I noticed that the refinery was inside a nebula. I was already so close that while I was thinking what on earth it was, I was inside the cloud. Now my sensors went mad: All communications, manifest & damage screen, navigation screen and radars started flickering and spilling out nonsensical letters really fast. The ship still responded normally, so I thought it was some kind of cool sensor-jamming nebula and headed towards a planet to fix things. Now I noticed I could not see the docking rectangles. Well, I still landed on the planet and did Basic Repair, then took off just to notice that everything was still messed up. I turned around, docked again and saw no damage in the sensors in the repair screen, nor was there any damage in any part except armor that was in 98 % after some luddite shootouts. I sold the sensor (the best intermediate sensor) and bought a new one. However, as I took off everything was still messed up. Once again I returned and changed my Dostoyevsky to my Llama. Took off and... Still a mess, even though it's a different ship! At that point I decided this was not Working As Designed. I saved the game to a new slot, quit the program, restarted and reloaded. Now the problems were gone. Frightening moments, they were!

Playing VS 0.5.0 that I just downloaded a week ago, in Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit. If any more information is needed, please ask: however I can not supply screenshots 'cause I didn't take them at the time. Don't know if it is reproductible, I can try though.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Re: Nebula messed up all ships: a bug?

Post by TBeholder »

Got the same bug with graphics in SVN version.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
athomic1
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Re: Nebula messed up all ships: a bug?

Post by athomic1 »

I got this bug, too. I run the Fedora 11 repository version, and occasionally try the SVN (don't think I've run it since the update, though).

Anyway, I don't think anything permanent has happened to your equipment, or any of your saved games, but you do have to restart VS itself to regain your working sensors. Don't sell or buy anything, just dock somewhere, save your game, then quit and restart. I would strongly recommend waiting until you're outside any nebulae you've entered before doing this, otherwise, you'll probably just have to do it again.

My guess is, nebulae don't normally do any permanent sensor damage (though some might). They just interfere with electromagnetics, or whatever your sensors are using, which of course screws up their readings. I suspect the engine turns on the interference effect when it determines you've entered a nebula, but fails to catch your departure and reset the behavior to normal. Maybe someone with more time than I can locate the problem and fix it, eventually.