All kinds of problems - Read on.

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
gamer025
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

All kinds of problems - Read on.

Post by gamer025 »

This is not my first attempt to play Vegastrike. I love the premise of the game. I really want to play it, but no matter when I try I always have the same issues:

1) Pressing M does not bring up a map.
2) Pressing Alt-0 brings up target zones around a base, but I can't land. It also does not request permission.
3) Pressing 1 does not bring up the cockpit.

I find that many keys do to same thing, cycle through targets. I have no nav map, can only choose between 3 different communications. My lasers shoot at the target on screen whether I'm facing it or not and whether the target is locked or not (auto-aim?)

Bugs like this are what have kept me from playing VS. I've been trying to play this game on and off for about 3 years. What gives?
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Re: All kinds of problems - Read on.

Post by CLoneWolf »

gamer025 wrote:This is not my first attempt to play Vegastrike. I love the premise of the game. I really want to play it, but no matter when I try I always have the same issues:

1) Pressing M does not bring up a map.
If you refer to the navcomp, which among other things has a map, M = shift-m not just m :mrgreen:
If you don't see the map as you turn the navcomp on, click the top right button (Nav / Info) that toggles between the info and nav sections; Nav is where you find the map, viewable in 2d and 3d.
gamer025 wrote:2) Pressing Alt-0 brings up target zones around a base, but I can't land. It also does not request permission.
Just press d both for clearance request (green boxes get shown) and actual docking once inside a green box; get there and press d again.
gamer025 wrote:3) Pressing 1 does not bring up the cockpit.
Cockpits are currently disabled for lack of quality compared to the rest of gfx
gamer025 wrote:I find that many keys do to same thing, cycle through targets.
...but of *different kinds*. When the system is spammed by ships, limiting the cycle to only hostiles, or landing places, or immediately targeting the bad guy shooting at you, can make a great difference...
parkel
Hunter
Hunter

Post by parkel »

I think I'll explain more in depth of what clonewolf is actually talking about.
gamer025 wrote:Pressing Alt-0 brings up target zones around a base, but I can't land. It also does not request permission.
pressing alt+0 brings up the boxes. and as clonewolf has said, press d to dock near the green boxes (the boxes need to fill up about 80% of your screen. if all else fails, just spam d while u approach the box.) but. when you try to dock in an AI capship, pressing alt+0 will stop them for 20 secs, thus giving you time to dock. if the time is not enough, request clearance again by pressing alt+0 once more.
gamer025 wrote:Pressing 1 does not bring up the cockpit.
not all cockpits are disabled in this case. only the rlaan ships and the aera ships have cockpits.
if you look inside the units.csv file found inside your VS directory, the aeran ships use light_cockpit.cpt while the rlaan uses rlaan.cpt

you can insert cockpits for all ships but it will be strange cos not all ships have the same cockpit. right?
go to http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/media ... ual:Cheats for more info on how to hack your game.
gamer025 wrote:I find that many keys do to same thing, cycle through targets. I have no nav map, can only choose between 3 different communications. My lasers shoot at the target on screen whether I'm facing it or not and whether the target is locked or not (auto-aim?)
here are the keys for cycling thru targets:
r to detect the closest hostile target
t to cycle thru all targets in your current system
n to cycle thru natural targets (miningbase, planets etc)
u to cycle thru unnatural targets (capships, other AI ships etc)
h to cycle thru all hostile targets in your current system

you can press shift+[the key assigned] to cycle thru the targets backwards. shift+r and r does the same thing... for my case.

Also, you talked about ur lasers...
1) did u press "l" to lock on to the target before shooting?
2) by meaning lasers.. are u talking about the laser in the game or just simply another term used for beams?
3) there is no auto-aim in this game. :D
  • Derivative + pArKeL + a bunch of luddites = ?

:D
gamer025

Post by gamer025 »

Thanks a lot for the replies. They should help and I'll give VS another go with the info. As for my lasers, I'm talking about the laser guns on the first ship you get when you first start. I was shooting and even when I wasn't pointing at anything, I was shooting at a target not in front of me. Hard to describe maybe. Thanks again for info and I"ll give it a try.

**IDEA** Can someone give me an idea as to a first mission? I just want to bring cargo from place to place. It's kinda hard starting on that ocean world when there is like 999 available of every kind of cargo. Hard to know what to bring where. I'm beginning to think this game has a very steep learning curve...
gamer025

Post by gamer025 »

gamer025 wrote:Thanks a lot for the replies. They should help and I'll give VS another go with the info. As for my lasers, I'm talking about the laser guns on the first ship you get when you first start. I was shooting and even when I wasn't pointing at anything, I was shooting at a target not in front of me. Hard to describe maybe. Thanks again for info and I"ll give it a try.

**IDEA** Can someone give me an idea as to a first mission? I just want to bring cargo from place to place. It's kinda hard starting on that ocean world when there is like 999 available of every kind of cargo. Hard to know what to bring where. I'm beginning to think this game has a very steep learning curve...
EDIT: it happened again. my laser guns are shooting at the mining base when im' not facing it (thought i'ts my nav target.) also, i can change my heading but the ship still slides in the direction it was going. what gives?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

The drift is just inertia as we model real physics as much as possible but the guns that is something else have you tried starting a new game.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
parkel
Hunter
Hunter

Post by parkel »

ok...

1) which version are u using? v0.5.0 or the svn?
2) if u r using v0.5.0, try to disconnect ur mouse and plug it in again (ur mouse button?) - or as loki suggested, start a new game.
3) to stop drifting, press '`'. and when u see this "fcmp: on", that means u r safe - no more drifting~
  • Derivative + pArKeL + a bunch of luddites = ?

:D
leevanj
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Post by leevanj »

Ah that explains it - I was messing about for half an hour - expecting a confirmation message to appear, wondering if my alt-0 was working or not, this was all due to the readme me file, if it were updated to include above instructions that would skip this problem ( oh and im not sure but maybe the in game message at the start of a launch.. ps there are a few other inconsistencies in the readme - e.g. it states a jump drive will be at least 10,000 credits, on my game it wsa about 7500..

great game ... really coming along now! :)