Scanning a Ship's Manifest Bug

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
ShadowOblivion
Merchant
Merchant

Scanning a Ship's Manifest Bug

Post by ShadowOblivion »

VS Version: 0.5.0

It seems that whenever I attempt to scan the cargo hold of another vessel by using the "v" key while I am moving at anything but a small(10-50) speed then the cargo manifest scrolls at a speed that makes reading it impossible.
The signal is calling! Our planet is falling!
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Re: Scanning a Ship's Manifest Bug

Post by MC707 »

I believe you/your target have to stop, like what homeland security guvs always ask you when they are scanning you. If you move/change course, they can't scan you. Therefore, they assume you have illegal cargo (you wouldn't run/change course if you didn't have illegal cargo anyway), and finally open fire. That being said, it could just be a bug, which has been fixed in SVN. That's the extent of my knowledge, so those my 2 cents...
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
Earthlings|The End of the Internet?|FreeWebsite
parkel
Hunter
Hunter

Post by parkel »

yes.. you have to stop.

but the cargo manifest simply shows everything to be 1.
and every single item in the manifest = 1.
no doubt.
  • Derivative + pArKeL + a bunch of luddites = ?

:D
athomic1
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by athomic1 »

MC707 wrote:I believe you/your target have to stop, like what homeland security guvs always ask you when they are scanning you.
Hrmmmm, I'll have to try that.

If that's really the case, though, I would imagine you should be stopped relative to the ship you're trying to scan, which means you should need to 'match speed' with it (home key) as well as stopping. Otherwise, I'd lean toward 'bug', myself. :P

I used to think that fast-scrolling manifest was the effect of distance, that you really couldn't get a good scan unless you were nearby. More recently, I've figured it's probably due to the variety of cargo. Targets carrying a wide variety show a fluttery list, while targets with just a few items show a steady one with no trouble. Given the behavior I've seen in the SVN version, I'm more inclined to think it was a bug.

Oh, but what's this? I just went ahead and fired up the SVN version, took off, and what do I see? In flight, it's fluttery, but if I hit stop, the list stops! Okay, start up again, and... it goes fluttery again, right around 300! Now, THAT is interesting...

Guess I'll be trying that in 0.5.0 stable...