Velocity Weirdness: Possible SPEC Issue?

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
athomic1
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Velocity Weirdness: Possible SPEC Issue?

Post by athomic1 »

I considered filing this with the accel/decel problem, but I think it might be something different, so I'm reporting it separately.

A short time after coming out of a jump, I noticed my velocity had gone to something crazy big, like in the hundred thousands. I hadn't gone into travel mode, had hit the gate only at top maneuver speed (about 650 in a Taizong), and I'm pretty sure that's what it was initially on the other side. I was busy for awhile chatting up Uln and Forsaken to avoid a messy confrontation, so I don't think I caught the change when it happened, but I think I might know about when it did. For the briefest moment, I caught a glimpse of some sort of ship flash by right in front of me. I think there might have been a near collision that threw the engine for a bit of a loop.

Now, here's something that may be important, about the numbers: As I said, the speed was somewhere up in the ten or hundred thousands, and later slipped into fractions of C (I'll get to that bit shortly), but I also recall seeing the SPEC multiplier at zero. I didn't really think about it at the time, but now I think that may have something to do with the rest.

My ship didn't seem to be trying to get back to set velocity, so I tried turning it around to get it to reverse itself. Eventually, it did start slowing down, so I decided to leave it until it got back within sane values, and meanwhile keep chatting up hostiles to avoid dealing with them. It took a little time, but finally it was back below ten thousand, and falling. For some strange reason, though, the number would shift back to a fraction of C for a period, and then back to a lower "normal" velocity, still falling, until I was finally within maneuvering speeds. From there, I was able to fly normally again, and made it to the commerce center I was headed for, thankfully without hindrance from the oversensitive locals.

SO! Here's what I'm thinking:

Somehow, maybe as a result of a near miss or a wonky collision, my SPEC multiplier got set to zero, a value it should never hit (I'd hate to imagine it going negative!) That in turn knocked my velocity into the Twilight Zone, with no clear way back. I think this has happened once before, as I seem to recall similarly weird numbers on some other occasion, but it's probably a very rare phenomenon. Nonetheless, I would suggest adding a check in the SPEC/velocity code somewhere. What it should probably do is check for a value less than one, and reset it to one. It might also force SPEC off in that situation, just in case it isn't already. I would recommend the check take place whether SPEC is on or off, though, just to be safe.

I hope to start navigating the labyrinth of code myself soon, but someone else could probably make the fix much quicker than I. :wink: Meanwhile, I have another idea for anyone who happens to find themselves in a similar situation:

If you find your speed inexplicably high, and your SPEC multiplier at zero, try toggling SPEC on and back off. That might fix the multiplier, and with any luck, your velocity will settle down. It might still settle in the high thousands, but at least you should be able to throttle back from that. Eventually. :mrgreen: I don't know when I'll get the opportunity to try it myself, so if anyone else has this happen, I'd be very interested to hear about it!
athomic1
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Re: Velocity Weirdness: Possible SPEC Issue?

Post by athomic1 »

OH!! I forgot, as long as I was talking about numbers, I thought I'd mention:

My main pilot's got up over 2.5 billion credits now (AI Cores: gotta love 'em!), but the in-flight manifest shows negative credits. Someone might want to check the code, there, and as long as we're at it, does anyone know the absolute maximum balance we can carry? :mrgreen:
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

My guess its something similar to the other guys. You are probably at 0 speed compared to the local star, but you might have targetted someone else and pressed home. Then, that guy started SPECing away, so your velocity meter skyrocketed. You are technically not moving, since the most common measure of movement is in relation to the local star, but you are moving in relation to the guy that is running off in SPEC. Maybe thats why you got a negative :P
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
Earthlings|The End of the Internet?|FreeWebsite
athomic1
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by athomic1 »

No, I think you're missing it. Okay, it's possible I might have been 'homed' on a ship that was going in and out of SPEC. I could imagine that causing the velocity to jump from a regular number to a fraction of C and back, but I really don't think that was the case.

What I do remember is being bewildered by this strange pair of numbers, trying to remember which is supposed to be the velocity, and what the heck that zero was. I am all but certain that SPEC multiplier was, if not actually zero, then at least less than one, where it should never be. If there's some way for the SPEC multiplier to wind up less than one, that's a bug.

At this point, there's not much to be done about it, unless and until it crops up again. It might be awhile, given the circumstances, but I'll keep an eye out, and try to note the multiplier for sure if it should happen again.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

And if you could grab the log file as well they may give a more detailed look at what the engine thinks it's doing.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
pazuzu
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Post by pazuzu »

Confirming issue on 0.5 Windows build ( 0.5 debian package not affected on my systems):

-Disengaging SPEC makes impossible to modify maneuver speed with throttle, only way to make it delcelerate form max speed is to keep DEL key pressed, releasing it ship accelerates to max maneuver speed.
-HUGE inertia unrelated to ship mass
-Wrong speed displayed on HUD (I had something like 54C once), it happens when you autopilot to some destination and turn it off upon arrival, you have massive inertial drift getting you far from target, pointing retrograde and trying to compesate with thrusters make the reported speed go iffy, if you turn on SPEC ship comes to a stand still (reported speed 0, SPEC factor something like 143851051), when disengaged reported speed may be anything from real speed (decreasing to zero) to multiples of C.

No match velocity involved in the issue.

Hope this helps.