Throttle vs Keyboard

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
oddeyed
Explorer
Explorer

Throttle vs Keyboard

Post by oddeyed »

Hi. I was using the latest SVN on date 15th June 2009, and I noticed a small control bug.

What I noticed, was during the tutorial, the flight instructor told me to reverse to a speed of -50 using the minus key on my numpad. Unfortunately, my joystick throttle (Logitech Attack 3) was at 0, and it would only go to -4 speed. When I let go, it still reverts to the throttle speed. I did some more experimenting, and it happens at every speed I've set it to using + or -, it just reverts to the throttle speed whenever I let go, and will not go very far while I'm holding it down.

For what its worth, cutting my engines with the Backspace key does actually cut the engines, but as soon as I let go, it goes back to the joystick speed. Same goes for the max speed button (\).

All the best, oddeyed.

PS: I haven't tested it on the 0.5.0 build.
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Re: Throttle vs Keyboard

Post by CLoneWolf »

I had the same problem with my joystick, where the lowest speed value for the throttle is 0 and the reverse thrusters weren't enough to reach the target negative speed... but then I realized that speed itself is a very relative issue... think of it and you'll see the light ;)
oddeyed
Explorer
Explorer

Post by oddeyed »

CLoneWolf wrote:but then I realized that speed itself is a very relative issue... think of it and you'll see the light ;)
Erm... nope. :oops: Can't think of anything. All I can think is if you push minus to put it on a negative scale and turn up the throttle? Velocity can be a minus number (velocity = speed in a direction), that's where I'm getting that idea. Could you help me out? :?

:idea: Maybe its just tap it really fast? But still, I can't really see that getting me anywhere.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Have you tried calibrating the joystick i have had to do that a few times when my throttle would not reach zero and it not going to negative values may be due a to certain assumptions in joystick.cpp or a limitation of the SDL library itself not sure which.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

oddeyed wrote:
CLoneWolf wrote:but then I realized that speed itself is a very relative issue... think of it and you'll see the light ;)
Erm... nope. :oops: Can't think of anything. All I can think is if you push minus to put it on a negative scale and turn up the throttle? Velocity can be a minus number (velocity = speed in a direction), that's where I'm getting that idea. Could you help me out? :?

:idea: Maybe its just tap it really fast? But still, I can't really see that getting me anywhere.
Well, the set velocity can be shown as negative, to mean you're moving towards your six rather than your front; just like when you use reverse thrusters. Current velocity, of course, is always shown as 0 or positive. Now do this experiment while far from any gravity well: fly straight at max velocity, then start turning quickly and watch your current velocity changing because of vector math... Mix that with reverse thrusters and you're done ;)
oddeyed
Explorer
Explorer

Post by oddeyed »

CloneWolf - so its just a question of hurling yourself forwards and then turning? :mrgreen: Fair enough. I'll probably need flight computer (fcmp) off for that though... right?

And, as I've been playing without the throttle on my joystick enabled, I'm actually finding it better having one hand on the keyboard at all times rather than having to switch between throttle and buttons.

All the best, oddeyed.
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

oddeyed wrote:CloneWolf - so its just a question of hurling yourself forwards and then turning? :mrgreen: Fair enough. I'll probably need flight computer (fcmp) off for that though... right?
I didn't, but thinking of it, it should make things a lot easier! Actually, if all governor settings are changed by the travel mode, negative max velocity might be well over Oswald's request without the need for turning, gotta try that :)
oddeyed wrote:And, as I've been playing without the throttle on my joystick enabled, I'm actually finding it better having one hand on the keyboard at all times rather than having to switch between throttle and buttons.
And that is an even more comfortable solution; if my throttle wheel wasn't so easy to move with the thumb, I wouldn't use it either.