Crash after loading save game (newest SVN)

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
Hamsterjelly
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

Crash after loading save game (newest SVN)

Post by Hamsterjelly »

Hey, I hate having my first post being a bug report, but it's really annoying :( I took the plunge and downloaded the SVN version of the game (Rev. 12556). It works fine when starting a new campaign, starting missions, etc. But when it comes to loading a saved game, the game always screws up or crashes with one of the following errors (not all at once, but one of them happens at random)
- The main menu screen doesn't load up. Instead I get the Dumbfire (or some missile, I think it's a dumbfire) model, a launch and a mission computer option. Clicking launch allows me to fly around for a couple of seconds (as the missile, black background, no other targets) and crashes the game after 3-4 seconds. Clicking mission computer takes me to the normal terminal, can't buy anything or repair. Trying to load a saved game from there just freezes the program. I managed to get the main menu back by removing my saved games from the save directory.
- Saved game loads, but I start off automatically in space. Game crashes after one second. This happens if I save anywhere, in any circumstances (planet/ox ship/relay station, missions done, missions still to complete - I tried everything :wink: ) I tried hacking my location in the save file, same problem. Oh and the upgrades of the ship don't seem to be there - no ECM, Dumbfires instead of Heatseekers (looks like the stock llama.begin - maybe a problem with loading up upgrades?)

These don't happen with 0.5.0 (been playing for ~6 months). System: Windows XP Pro. If there's anything I should add/more details, let me know! Alternatively, I could just buy a laptop and have it running 24/7 on it, no need to save :lol:
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Crash after loading save game (newest SVN)

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome Hamsterjelly could you post the two txt files in the bin folder called stdout.txt and stderr.txt and could you also describe your folder layout most specificity are you playing in the downloaded svn folder.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Hamsterjelly

Post by Hamsterjelly »

wow, quick reply :o Yeah, I set up a SVN folder just like it's described in the wiki (http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... eckout_SVN). the .exe in my random stuff folder on the desktop/SVN/VS/win32/bin. could the desktop location be a problem? My 0.5 VS is in program files.

Edit: these ones are after loading up the autosave (exactly the same as normal save). Mission still to complete, docked at a half-friendly Ox ship (I hit him while docking :wink: )
PS: i probably should change the name of my 'random stuff' folder :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Now i want you to look at C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\IBM\Desktop\Shit\SVN\VS\win32\data\modules\

And you will notice that lots of files have .pyc extensions and have a coloured icon beside them from TortoiseSVN which means unversioned ie. svn doesn't know squat about them as they are generated the first time you run the game and as well C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\IBM\Desktop\Shit\SVN\VS\win32\data/vegastrike.config will have a red triangle beside it which means that if has changed from when it was downloaded what this does is confuse svn the next time you check for updates so to prevent that what i suggest is to pick a location in Program Files and do an export from the downloaded svn by right-clicking on the top folder C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\IBM\Desktop\Shit\SVN\VS\win32\data then selecting TortoiseSVN ->export now a dialogue box will appear where you can browse to Program Files and you can create a new folder for VS now Tortoise will copy just the game files not it's data base to the new location now that is where one should play the game from run the setup.exe and pick your preferences first then run the game from there starting a new game the other option if you still want to play from your local svn copy it to move everything in the .vegastrike folder out of there or delete it run setup.exe again and start a new game from the first load screen but the next time you update be prepare for some complains from TotosiseSVN about possible conflicts from locally changed files.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Hamsterjelly

Post by Hamsterjelly »

Awesome, it works perfectly now, thanks a lot! :D
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

No problem as you may have noticed that's my job here :lol: