Admonisher and package errors

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
xuare
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Admonisher and package errors

Post by xuare »

Hello!

These are all in 0.5.0. I tried a basic search in these forums for these items. I'm not sure if you prefer this going in here or on the sourceforge bug tracker...

I have noticed that the Adminisher Confed MILSPEC package has the max upgrade volume set to 1200 in the units.csv. This leads to the actual upgrade volume being -130, since the milspec package is set to use 1330 volume units. the easy fix is to up the admonisher milspec in units.csv to 1400, which is what the stock Admonisher is set to

The Purist MILSPEC is not sold with a package to denote it as such. As soon as that ship undergoes basic repair, the game will reset it to stock configuration. This is extremely frustrating for anyone who has saved up for the fighter. I'm unsure at this time how exactly that is occuring

When you have a MILSPEC package, adding one item on top of the items listed in the package nulls the entire package. For instance, if you upgrade the sensor, the reactor, capasitor, etc. is no longer maintained at the package level. The extra ship specs are maintained (turning radius, govenor settings, etc..)

x

p.s. I have a SF account at the same username. I have DB & SQL w/ perl and debug experience, though my C skills are nearly non-existant. If you need help with something. let me know. Time is tight, but given the size of the universe VS seems to set up, I thought DB experience might be handy :)
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Admonisher and package errors

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome xuare glad you tracked that mil-spec package problem down to the volume entry but the whole mil-spec package needs a look at IMHO it was changed for the 0.5 release and i believe the guy who did it admits that it's a bit of a hack job all this is done data side with Python not in the C++ code itself as the various mods handle upgrades to the ship differently so to accommodate them and future mods that was done quite early on in the project.
As for using a DB there has been some discussion on that but no real consensus emerged with concerns about performance and complexity being the major focus and the fact that the universe is generated from the milky_way.xml file so adding an other level of complexity.Happy hacking on all your projects.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
xuare
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by xuare »

loki1950 wrote:...
As for using a DB there has been some discussion on that but no real consensus emerged with concerns about performance and complexity being the major focus and the fact that the universe is generated from the milky_way.xml file so adding an other level of complexity.Happy hacking on all your projects.

Obviously I'm not fully up to date on all the discussions, however if you plan to implement this in a more than single player method, you may have issues keeping all sections of the "universe" in actual memory. for instance, items moving at high speed that are not jumping, and determining when they get to other parts of a system. I noted somewhere that support for what seem to amount to SPEC-ing distances that usually requiring jumps was something that was desired (eventually). I think you guys will have a large memory issue if you implement that in addition to multiplayer, as the amount of junk floating between systems will be larger and the server will be on long enough where that junk may actually make it to another system (weeks, months, and years--something not typically seen in a single player setting). I have a feeling holding those objects in memory for the duration of their travel (amongst other things) may not be desired in the long run. Database are desired for holding large amounts of data that are used "infrequently" (as compared with objects that need to be in memory in the case of modeling and simulators like Vega Strike)

But as I said before, I have no idea what the devs have discussed or what the future milestones are for the project. Just saying thanks by offering help should you want it :)

x
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

You do indeed have a grasp of the problem :) i will track down that discussion for you it's here on the forum in Developer focus if my memory is correct getting to the point in life where senior moments become common :wink:

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2