Crash report

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
Jno
Trader
Trader

Crash report

Post by Jno »

I thought this was better here than on the bug tracker, because I can't characterize the bug.

On undocking from rlaan Outpost 0 in Kabazzkab, the outpost came under attack from another ship. As I watched, Vegastrike came to a shuddering halt, dropping me back into KDE, but with no mouse etc., so had to restart the X server.

This is svn version checked out 2009-03-08 and compiled with -march=athlon for an AMD Athlon on an Asus A7N8X motherboard running Kubuntu and a custom kernel:

Code: Select all

jonathan@odin:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 6
model           : 10
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm)
stepping        : 0
cpu MHz         : 1913.309
cache size      : 512 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow ts
bogomips        : 3829.91
clflush size    : 32

jonathan@odin:~$ uname -a
Linux odin 2.6.24.3-081207custom #1 Sun Dec 7 10:51:05 GMT 2008 i686 GNU/Linux
The end of the vegastrike log file is attached; hope it makes sense to somebody.

Jonathan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Crash report

Post by loki1950 »

I see you have the same MB as i do but i had a BIOS fault back in august and haven't been able to set my FSB to more than 100 MHz so i can only play the svn under fedora and been having problems with X hard locking recently but a new box is on the horizon :D
But back to the log looks like that battle over tasked something in the music selection stack as the original call was to change the music this might be related to your not having music working but that's a guess as there have been some changes to the AI routines that i also see involved in the chain as you said hard to categorize.may come down to a missing or miss placed comma in the python calling statements.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Sorry, looks to me like you ran out of memory. Unfortunately VS does not handle these conditions gracefully.
I think you have to lower the memory settings (so fewer systems are active at once)--You can go to a much lower setting and still be fine.

How much RAM does your computer have? I recommend at least 1GB if possible. 512 or less is a stretch, but you are going to have to use the lowest possible settings.

The other thing you can do is turn off music. The reason it failed while loading music is because the current engine loads the entire uncompressed track into memory (usually around 30 MB worth). And it is here that you ran out of memory. Definitely not ideal, but that was the tradeoff to allow for having music and 3D sound at the same time. There is new code in the works to enable streaming from a .ogg file so this problem doesn't happen.
Jno
Trader
Trader

Post by Jno »

Thanks for the analysis; I've got 1GB of memory, and was running Vegastrike from Konsole, with no other applications. I've taken to quitting when my Llama has been handed its a** on a platter (too frequently) instead of simply reloading, and it does seem to be a bit more stable that way. Also, the regenerated universe is usually friendlier than the one I was evicted from :)

Jonathan