Annoying Sound After Quitting VS

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Annoying Sound After Quitting VS

Post by MC707 »

Some times I close VS and a repeating sound stays fixed, while there are no VS windows or anything. The sound is a repeating sound that, for example, shows up with "scratched" music CD's. The only way to stop that freaking sound is to restart system. This is in SVN in Linux. Does anybody have this bug too? Tried searching the bug tracker but I found nothing.
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
Earthlings|The End of the Internet?|FreeWebsite
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Annoying Sound After Quitting VS

Post by loki1950 »

That was a problem when we used a separate soundsever it would not terminate with the main binary mainly a problem under windows but i have not heard of it since the sound was all internalized with openal it could be the buffers clearing but i am not sure klauss is currently working on the sound sub-systems so it may get fixed soon if it is not just something in your on configuration.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

hmmm I doubt it is something in my configurations, as almost everything is stock. Ididn't even touch neither vegastrike.config nor vssetup.exe. Anyway, hope it is fixed. I hate rebooting (not slow but not fast either) :x
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Just logging out and back in might do the trick save you the reboot.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

loki1950 wrote:Just logging out and back in might do the trick save you the reboot.
Oh no mate. That might work in windows but not in my Linux :cry: Already tried that.
RedAdder
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by RedAdder »

Try running vegastrike again or another program producing sound maybe one using openal, it might stop the sounds. At least I guess it might :lol:
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

RedAdder wrote:Try running vegastrike again or another program producing sound maybe one using openal, it might stop the sounds. At least I guess it might :lol:
Well, I tried running VS again, but the thing froze badly and messed up everything. Had to hard reboot with the power button. I haven't tried running other program that uses OpenAL, but if that ever happens I might just try.
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

It appears the bug attacked me again :x. This time, I tried playing mp3 files and all sorts of stuff that used audio, but that repetitive sound overrode every sound my system could make. :evil: Wonder what is the problem :|
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

What Sound daemons are you using. The most common ones are:
aRts (part of KDE)
esd (part of Gnome)
pulse (installed by default in some Ubuntu setups)

In my experience, pulse audio is pretty buggy. But you can try to disable those services by going into the sound preferences, or temporarily turn them off by doing "sudo /etc/init.d/esd stop" or "killall esd" depending on which audio server you use.
Note that depending on your sound card, this may disable software mixing, so you will only be able to play one stream at a time. But it should at least fix the weird audio glitches.
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

ace123 wrote:What Sound daemons are you using. The most common ones are:
aRts (part of KDE)
esd (part of Gnome)
pulse (installed by default in some Ubuntu setups)

In my experience, pulse audio is pretty buggy. But you can try to disable those services by going into the sound preferences, or temporarily turn them off by doing "sudo /etc/init.d/esd stop" or "killall esd" depending on which audio server you use.
Note that depending on your sound card, this may disable software mixing, so you will only be able to play one stream at a time. But it should at least fix the weird audio glitches.
How do you know which one you have? I know I do not use aRts, since I use Gnome. So I guess I have either pulse or esd. My sound card is actually integrated with the motherboard.
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

MC707 wrote:How do you know which one you have? I know I do not use aRts, since I use Gnome. So I guess I have either pulse or esd. My sound card is actually integrated with the motherboard.
You might check the installed packages, or the currently active processes; in the latter case, open a terminal emulator and type the command
ps aux

With luck, the daemon's name should be recognizable; then, either try the command
killall -9 daemonname

or
kill -9 PID (where PID is the Process ID listed in the corresponding column in the ps output)

Of course, both the kill commands will require root privileges, so make a proper use of sudo or su -c whatever is your case.
HTH
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

thanks for your help :) Will try that when I fix my internet settings in Ubuntu (for some reason only my Windows Vista boot can access internet) :x
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

MC707 wrote:thanks for your help :) Will try that when I fix my internet settings in Ubuntu (for some reason only my Windows Vista boot can access internet) :x
Actually, you can do all those checks without the need for an internet connection.
As for the packages, you can use either the simplified package manager at the bottom of the main App menu, or Synaptic, located in the administration section.

In Debian Sid, the daemon packages have the words esound and pulseaudio in their names; I'd expect Ubuntu packages to have similar names, so you can search for those words; optionally, you can limit the search to the packages that are already installed, to shrink the result list.

As for the kill commands, the standard Ubuntu user can use the sudo command, so that's
sudo kill -9 PID
sudo killall -9 processname
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

CLoneWolf wrote:Actually, you can do all those checks without the need for an internet connection.
Oh what I meant was that I'm feeling lazy about booting into Ubuntu cuz I have to reboot to windows if I want to do something on the internet, like commenting what sound thingy I have :P.
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

MC707 wrote:Oh what I meant was that I'm feeling lazy about booting into Ubuntu cuz I have to reboot to windows if I want to do something on the internet, like commenting what sound thingy I have :P.
Hahaha I see, well, there's no hurry, take your time :) Meanwhile..... you might consider volunteering for some voice acting! (shameless plug, I know, not even pro marketers are this shameless :roll: )
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

CLoneWolf wrote:Hahaha I see, well, there's no hurry, take your time :) Meanwhile..... you might consider volunteering for some voice acting! (shameless plug, I know, not even pro marketers are this shameless :roll: )
Hahahaha yeah yeah voice acting would be cool :mrgreen: My voice is kinda cool actually, a little bit deep. 8) I guess I could act for hunters faction, though I think I can recall them being worked on while I checked the forums a few days ago. The only problem would be buying a $600 mic (I'm saving money for nice clothing, currently working on a chick :twisted: )
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

MC707 wrote:
The only problem would be buying a $600 mic (I'm saving money for nice clothing, currently working on a chick :twisted: )
No need a $600 mic !!!! i record the shaper voice with a very simple mic this kind of mic with a tiny clip but i did a tips i put it on my collar close too my neck
it was maybe a $5 made in china mic (maybe less!!!)

Then you could keep money for clothing!! (i prefere keeping money for clothing too)
CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

Fendorin is right! :) All my recordings come from a headset with microphone that costed me 2 Euro, that's less than 3$ :)

Back on topic, let us know if, when, and how you solved the sound trouble, as that could be helpful to others with the same problem.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

If it is pulse audio that is the problem you may have to remove it completely seen posts on the fedora forms on how to do so there fedora has used pulse for the last three releases and some people's configs just don't like it while others have no problems i being one :wink: So a troll of the Ubuntu forums for an equivalent how to should prove productive.

MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

Fendorin wrote:MC707 wrote:
The only problem would be buying a $600 mic (I'm saving money for nice clothing, currently working on a chick :twisted: )
No need a $600 mic !!!! i record the shaper voice with a very simple mic this kind of mic with a tiny clip but i did a tips i put it on my collar close too my neck
it was maybe a $5 made in china mic (maybe less!!!)

Then you could keep money for clothing!! (i prefere keeping money for clothing too)
CLoneWolf wrote:Fendorin is right! :) All my recordings come from a headset with microphone that costed me 2 Euro, that's less than 3$ :)

Back on topic, let us know if, when, and how you solved the sound trouble, as that could be helpful to others with the same problem.
Hahaha ok thanks guys. I thought I needed a $600 bucks mic because the last time I checked the music and sound collaboration forums, I saw this:
chuck_starchaser wrote:* Microphones:
-- Directional is better than omni; the more directional the better, as it helps catch less echos.
-- Electret (condenser) microphones are fine, per se, but the interface of cheap ones often distorts. If at all possible, try to use professional quality mikes; otherwise use cheap singing mikes; but really try to avoid "computer" mikes. Good idea for a mike: Sennheiser ME66, for example; it is a condenser type mike, but it kicks major ass. Costs like $ 300 or 400 but IMO you get the quality of a $1000 mike, plus very acute directionality (it's a "boom" type mike: long, with many little slots along). The reason it's so cheap, I reckon, is that they sell many of them, since they are a popular sound upgrade for portable video cameras, and come with adaptors for such use. Response is very flat, almost as good as a laboratory mike.
Main problem with condenser mikes is that they boost base sounds at short range. Your mouth, or the sound source, should be at least one foot (30 cm) away from the mike.
-- Dynamic (coil) microphones are pricey and overrated, IMHO, but if you have one, good for you. Often the directionality of dynamic mikes is cardioid type. Some have a switch to select between omni, cardioid and hyper-cardioid. If your sound environment is anything but the best, in terms of quietness and surrounding sound absorbing material, set the mike to hyper-cardioid (and make sure it points to the sound source). But if your setup is excellent; --ultra quiet and as echo-free as on a flat grass field extending to the horizon, then set the mike to omni. They do sound best in this setting.
And in my country, a $400 mic in the US would cost double the price (unless I miraculously find a working one in the black market :lol: ). Thankfully, I will be able to pay for my Salsa classes, too. 8) :lol:
loki1950 wrote:If it is pulse audio that is the problem you may have to remove it completely seen posts on the fedora forms on how to do so there fedora has used pulse for the last three releases and some people's configs just don't like it while others have no problems i being one :wink: So a troll of the Ubuntu forums for an equivalent how to should prove productive.
Ok I will try to fix that stupid pulse thing, though I still haven't fixed my goddamn Ubuntu internet connection :x :cry:. Too bad it just gave its first real bad behaviour. -_- People at Ubuntu forums are a little slow at answering my posts, despite having TONS of people (last time I saw a staggering 13743 users online!!! :shock:. just compare that to our forums, which have thousands times less users online and we still have ppl answering posts relatively fast [loki, anyone?])
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

I don't have a life :lol: and maybe most of those people on the Ubuntu forums are just clueless :wink: they are there to find answers to there own problem.The distro is marketing it's self as a beginners intro to Linux the ratio of knowledgeable to clueless is too high for them to keep up.But about your connection problem have you tried using the install CD in recovery mode and looking at your network settings in Vista.That and try and figure out where it is failing.There should be a networking FAQ/How to somewhere in the Ubuntu support cloud.

CLoneWolf
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by CLoneWolf »

MC707 wrote:Hahaha ok thanks guys. I thought I needed a $600 bucks mic because the last time I checked the music and sound collaboration forums, I saw this: (chuck_starchaser's recommendations)
And in my country, a $400 mic in the US would cost double the price (unless I miraculously find a working one in the black market :lol: ). Thankfully, I will be able to pay for my Salsa classes, too. 8) :lol:
Don't worry, Chuck's recommendations surely apply for top quality audio, like a face to face chat with a fixer could be, but radio comm chat is a lot more forgiving; so we can voice act and still be the champions of Salsa, and the best of Son ;)
loki1950 wrote:I don't have a life :lol:
If I could cover 3 factions with some extra free time over the Xmas break, I wonder what you could do with all your "non-life" time... ;) *whistles innocently* :roll:
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

CLoneWolf wrote:Don't worry, Chuck's recommendations surely apply for top quality audio, like a face to face chat with a fixer could be, but radio comm chat is a lot more forgiving; so we can voice act and still be the champions of Salsa, and the best of Son ;)
Hahahaha thanks! :lol: :D Hopefully I might be able to join the Sound and Music forums to contribute my voice talent 8) :mrgreen:
CLoneWolf wrote:If I could cover 3 factions with some extra free time over the Xmas break, I wonder what you could do with all your "non-life" time... ;) *whistles innocently* :roll:
Lol :lol: