Serious caching problems

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
Oxidative

Serious caching problems

Post by Oxidative »

First I must say that I'm very impressed by the progress of this project in the last months. Especially the music just rocks :D

Now to my problem: I have 512MB Ram and the game is unplayable under Windows98 and WindowsXP. The first few minutes of the game everything is fine, but after having played a bit it has to cache to disk every 30 secs or so. The game stands still for up to 15 secs while caching. This especially happens as soon as pirates/enemys show up. This is making me mad especially because I couldn't win a single battle yet because the systems hangs for the period of caching. I've tried all the different memory settings in the setup but it doesn't make any difference. Restarting the game doesn't help either, I have to restart in order to empty the cache again and play a couple of minutes till the cache is full again.
pezz

Post by pezz »

I believe this is the same problem as I reported. See the thread about loadding the Blast animation all the time, I also did a bit of debugging in order to ascertain the precise cause.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

you can download the new weapon_list.xml from the front page if you like --- we're working on fixing the problem the right way (well we have but my bro has to zip it up (again :-( )
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
Oxidative

Post by Oxidative »

I'm already using that xml file. In fact, it is the same as the one included in the 0.4.1 package. Doesn't help anything for me.
Painless
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Painless »

Something I'd like to throw into this discussion, as I recently had these nasty load pause problems although the new weapon_list.xml solved it, is the factor of drive fragmentation.

Before the new xml file, I managed to halve the duration of these load pauses by a thorough defrag of the drive that my swap file was on and the drive that vegastrike was on.

I think this is certainly worth doing for those having problems.

Russ.
Life down here is just a strange illusion
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

try download factions.xml

Post by hellcatv »

download the new factions.xml actually
or the best fix is instead to get the patch to 0.4.1C
we fixed this by hand
jstuart
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by jstuart »

This speed problem is also a problem with Linux too and it's still happening. :(