Llama.begin and Selling

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
Aacron
Explorer
Explorer

Llama.begin and Selling

Post by Aacron »

I keep reading posts about not being able to sell the first ship you start the game with.

I've done so. So I'm confused!

Just had to pitch in another bug :P
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Llama.begin and Selling

Post by loki1950 »

If you where successful at the selling i think that your copy of the game has become corrupt as he engine assumes that Llama.begin is always there and if it isn't then lots of other bugs will propagate into your save game those crazy factional relations may be one :shock: (from your other post) so as i said you should re-install.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Aacron
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Aacron »

so... why does the interface even allow you to sell it? granted i had to PAY to sell it (where does it tell you how much you can sell for anyways?)

Okay who is the interface guy... me and him gotta sit down and let me headbutt him for a while :P Seems like we're adding stuff and if we dont iron out what is here, muhc more and it will be a bloody mess :P

Really need to work on the interface for things, standardize some stuff so that people cant bork them as easily, and what-not. I'm willing to help... not just straight complaining. If I could code for a lick, or make any sense of what is here, I'd already be doing something :P But I'm goign to need help with that... and from the looks of it, alot of help.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Then start with a mock up of an interface that you think would be better and post images then we can argue over it 8) Lets have target before the coding :wink: and we can figure out if it is currently possible the GUI api is kinda convoluted but i gather there are two ways C++ /Python and straight Python(from the Wing Commander GG guys)

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Aacron
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Aacron »

well, its ugly... but here is a sketch. hopefully not *too* ugly :P

basically wanted to group items by type. have the 'tabs' kinda like what we have now but nice neat and organized. get rid of the pop-up window for buying/selling weapons and such, etc. The one I have up is a lazy rough draft, but it should get across what I'm tryign to do. Could be greatly expanded on, could have tabs on the left for say, missions, upgrades, ships, cargo, (which imho ammunition should be in, as well as the ability to carry weapons and shields in cargo for trading (hey sell the rlaan some confed lasers and top the balance int he war!). Have ideas from other interfaces I've looked at, and tryign to pick apart the best of each. Maybe keep the ability to walk around the stations (maybe shady mechanics could be hanging out in the bar or weapons dealer room, and not on the computer interface, but have the 'authorized' tunings which may not be quite so good in the computer). Perhaps things like illegal techs, or something too. Like a cloaking device (isn't that aera?) could be incompatible with confed ships, unless you get the shady mechanic to jerry-rig one into the ship systems.

maybe have tabs highlight red, when there is a damaged part. make it easy to repair those sub-systems.

also... dunno why this was put in, but you should be able to sell... say a laser, if the sensors are damaged... make it so that if the part is damaged it wont sell, not every part on the ship :P kinda seems like the hatches weld shut if one part is damaged. in which case there is no way we'd get outta the ship to sell stuff anyhow eh? :P

erm, have to ask, is stuff like the interface here possible with the engine? not sure if the engine works as I think it does. when you dock, is the base graphics and such all one menu-driven interface, or something? like nested from the parent (the landing area)??

Would be a good thing in my opinion to get the file we talked about in the other thread (units.csv) and modularize it for each item type, and then have subdirectories for anything its required for like the ships, grouped into a 'ships' directory. At least it would make it a little more organized. could save soem file size as well, cause ships dont need the same fields as say, a weapon or some random cargo, and cargo doesn't need to have the fields that ships need... save a little bit of storage space while we're at it.

I'd just need to figure out what fields are required for each item type before I started something like that. and looking at units.csv... might be a pretty daunting task :P of course the engine would have to be modified to read the data from the new files and such, but I don't see how that would be hard to implement. I'm not a coder though :P
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Units are a C++ class changing it would require a major rewrite of the whole engine probably a years worth of work :shock: so that just isn't practical :wink: and everything that moves in game is a unit or sub-unit my coding skills are about a generation out of date but i can still parse most current languages :D As for using tabs that may not be doable as the GUI code is very primitive.We are moving slowly to using the Ogre engine for our rendering back-end which brings CEGUI with it for GUI creation so it may be more productive to look that up and then we can have something to ready.GUI development is kinda low priority for the dev team there are more pressing issues for them.So when you have some sketches(images) post in the content dev sub-forum we can get some feed back from the users.

MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

loki1950 wrote:We are moving slowly to using the Ogre engine for our rendering back-end which brings CEGUI with it for GUI creation
When do you think (expect, hope) the ogre engine will be implemented?
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
Earthlings|The End of the Internet?|FreeWebsite
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

We have been taking about it for at least two years now and there is a framework that kluass put together in svn but lots of real work to do before we can even figure out how to factor/refactor all the existing code base to weld Orge3d into the mix.So i think it maybe not till at least another release or two without it :( Just not enough people that grok the current code base to handle the coding the bane of lots of Open Source projects lots of ideas but not enough people or time to do it.

MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

How much time do you mean by another release...? Anyway, if I had the time and knowledge in coding, you would have another helper. Too bad we don't have too much people... :cry: though I might be able to bring some people that might be able to help (hopefully). :) Maybe a little advertising some places I know in the net hehehe :twisted:
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
Earthlings|The End of the Internet?|FreeWebsite