0.3.9.1 isn't working on win2k

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
Diesel
Explorer
Explorer

0.3.9.1 isn't working on win2k

Post by Diesel »

VS-0.3.9.1 (still listed as 0.3.9 beta on the GPL) will not run on my win2k system. I have run previous versions well in the past, though. Anyway, the "options" button in the launcher cuts to a black screen (cmd shell?) and then back to the launcher. When I select a mission or a new game, it opens a shell and gives me this:

Opened audio at 44100 Hz 16 bit stereo, 4096 bytes audio buffer

[connected]
i0
[setting fadein to 0]
o10
[setting fadeout to 10]
v0.500000
p../music/terranpeace.ogg
[playing ../music/terranpeace.ogg with 0 fadein and 10 fadeout]
p..music/lightlease_p.ogg
[playing ..music/lightslease_p.ogg with 0 fadein and 10 fadeout]

e
[song done]
p..music/lightslease_p.ogg
[playing ..music/lightslease_p.ogg]

The section after the "e" repeats, and load-up doesn't go any farther.

I have installed it several times, and it's always the same. Any answers would be appreciated.

1.2GHz Athlon T-bird
640MB DDR SDRAM
64MB NVidia GeForce2 GTS w/ 44.03 drivers
WD 120GB ATA-100
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

What exactly is the problem?
Maybe you need to alt tab to the vegastrike window with the vega strike icon.

The window/shell you were seeing was the "soundserver" which plays audio files. Since vega strike was connected, there was no error that I could see.

So alt tab away and check the taskbar and click on the vega strike icon.

If that isn't it, give a more detailed description (e.g. vegastrike quits immediately, etc)

And if that is the problem, maybe we should try to avoid popping tose up (windos insists that we do for some reason)
Diesel
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Diesel »

You were right, I just had to alt-tab to the game. I didn't try that because it's counter-intuitive, considering the way most programs work. Also, I don't remember having to do that with previous versions.

Thanks for the reply, though. At least I know nothing's wrong with my system, so I won't spend hours digging into every nook and cranny to find the problem.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Was the command window full-screen? (it changes screen modes and has a black and white screen with text all over it)

vega Strike forces it to minimize but maybe the full screen option ignores that.

If it was full-screen In the future, type alt-enter, right click on the title bar, click properties
Then in one of the tabs, select "windowed" checkbox and not "fullscreen". Then "save for future windows with the same title".

That should fix this problem. Hopefully we will figure out a way to not have it pop up the window. I haven't bothered to try to fix this because no one had ever reported prblems about it.

By the way, it is listed still as 0.3.9 because it is that with a few minor bugfixes.
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

odd...it worked on a few other win boxes... XP and 2K
hadn't tried the 2k with fullscreen recently--the XP worked for sure....
I'll try to load teh dos box earlier so that it happens befor ethe creation of the window...maybe it has to do with CPU speed
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Post by pontiac »

hellcatv wrote:odd...it worked on a few other win boxes... XP and 2K
hadn't tried the 2k with fullscreen recently--the XP worked for sure....
I'll try to load teh dos box earlier so that it happens befor ethe creation of the window...maybe it has to do with CPU speed
win2k with VS-0.3.9.1 and fullscreen-mode works perfect here.

Pontiac