Two strange issues (maneuvering and docking with a ship)

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
mark
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Two strange issues (maneuvering and docking with a ship)

Post by mark »

I'm using vegastrike 0.5.0.

After flying around for some time it becomes more difficult to land on a base or fly into a jumppoint because the ship begins to slide and I'm unable to maneuver until the speed decreases to zero (which lasts longer than it does normally). The ship then crashes into the base or drifts away.
Is this a known bug?

Another thing is: some cargo missions want me to dock with a ship in a specific system. But this ship continuously flies away from me, I am unable to reach it. Would be better if this ship doesn't use its spec-drive.
How can I handle this? :-)
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome mark try hitting the "home" key match velocity what is happening is that your velocity is relative to the system's sun by default and the bases have differing velocities so the match velocity is allows you to know your velocity relative to the target that should let you dock without spattering all over the base :wink:

Now stopping that freighter as soon as you get close under a km hit the Docking request key "ctrl 0" or the docking key "d" that tells the ship you are there :wink: it then slows down for about 20 seconds if that's not enough just hit the key again that will let you approach for docking don't forget the match velocity key either as ships are diffidently not at the same velocity as the primary.that should work if not then we have a bug but people that try this find that it works

ps i forgotten the number of tomes i've answered this question :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
mark
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by mark »

Hi, thanks for this tip, though it is still difficult to dock with the other ship:
I was able to spec near that ship, pushing the d-button and then I speced inside the ship, colliding with it and being heavily damaged. This made the other ship angry enough to shoot my remains to dust.

I think this could be easier :-)
mark
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by mark »

I don't know, there are more issues:
I am flying towards a jump point and spec stops 200km too early (why? normally it's 10km or less). There are no other ships or planets near me, I tried several systems.
Continuously hitting the spec-button brings me nearer the jump point but the ship slides away from it.
Reducing the speed to zero still needs a big amount of time (1s per speed point), so I have to wait more than 2 minutes until the ship stands still. Using the overdrive burns fuel but doesn't do anything else until the ship completely stands.
And the ship has no damage, everything is on 100%, I never fought or damaged my ship in this game.
HoodedWraith
Merchant
Merchant

Post by HoodedWraith »

mark wrote:I don't know, there are more issues:
I am flying towards a jump point and spec stops 200km too early (why? normally it's 10km or less). There are no other ships or planets near me, I tried several systems.
Continuously hitting the spec-button brings me nearer the jump point but the ship slides away from it.
Reducing the speed to zero still needs a big amount of time (1s per speed point), so I have to wait more than 2 minutes until the ship stands still. Using the overdrive burns fuel but doesn't do anything else until the ship completely stands.
And the ship has no damage, everything is on 100%, I never fought or damaged my ship in this game.
I've had the spec issue as well. Tell me, what speed were you going before you popped SPEC? I've found that SPEC doesn't like it when I'm clipping along at 4500 kps (Is it per second in VS? I'm assuming so, because otherwise you're really lumbering along), drop into SPEC, and then I drop out early to brake (at least, I assume so) and confuse the autopilot enough that I'm stuck slowing down the hard way (flipping around and doing a sustained burn to drop my V down to something more manageable). Yeah. It's a pain, but it's been working for me.

Oh, and just a suggestion... don't hack yourself a true cap ship. They don't like autopilot (I hacked a Watson early this morning and to my dismay I had to deadstick SPEC, which is a pain).

Edit

And before I forget, when I'm talking about clipping along at 4500, I'm using travel speed as opposed to maneuver speed.
Tramp freighter for hire. Will work for good whiskey, overstocked weaponry, or just a good story.
mark
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by mark »

I've had the spec issue as well. Tell me, what speed were you going before you popped SPEC? I've found that SPEC doesn't like it when I'm clipping along at 4500 kps
I tried different values between 0 - 312
Oh, and just a suggestion... don't hack yourself a true cap ship. They don't like autopilot (I hacked a Watson early this morning and to my dismay I had to deadstick SPEC, which is a pain).
no no, I'm just flying around with the standard llama ship and did not touch the game files
HoodedWraith
Merchant
Merchant

Post by HoodedWraith »

mark wrote:
I've had the spec issue as well. Tell me, what speed were you going before you popped SPEC? I've found that SPEC doesn't like it when I'm clipping along at 4500 kps
I tried different values between 0 - 312
no no, I'm just flying around with the standard llama ship and did not touch the game files
Alright, so you're just using standard velocities then? I don't know what to tell ya 'bout that one... what's your cargo manifest like? If you're enough over base mass, it'll happen too. I had something sort of similar happen to me when I was piloting my llama with a full hold, but it just ended with me sliding through the point and having to wait for my V to die with a sustained burn, then lug myself back up and jump out.

I've only had the game for a few days, but I've been spending far too much of that time buried in my nav computer.

Or using my hacked cap ships to blow things to smithereens. >.>
Tramp freighter for hire. Will work for good whiskey, overstocked weaponry, or just a good story.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Btw HoodedWraith it's meters/sec in the 0.5 while it was km/hr in the old 0.4.3 the numbers may be different but it's the same velocity

@mark have you tried hitting the match velocity key before going into auto-pilot and try keeping your velocity low as well.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
HoodedWraith
Merchant
Merchant

Post by HoodedWraith »

loki1950 wrote:Btw HoodedWraith it's meters/sec in the 0.5 while it was km/hr in the old 0.4.3 the numbers may be different but it's the same velocity

@mark have you tried hitting the match velocity key before going into auto-pilot and try keeping your velocity low as well.

Just as I got back to my PC to edit my post and say you'll be along shortly to drop a helpful answer... :P

Thanks, I wasn't sure what the speeds were, it was really confusing me that I wasn't really "getting anywhere" while going 1500. That puts it in perspective.
mark
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by mark »

have you tried hitting the match velocity key before going into auto-pilot and try keeping your velocity low as well.
yes, but the home and end keys don't do anything
energyman76b
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by energyman76b »

mark wrote:I don't know, there are more issues:
that is because of the autopilot.
Just hit shift-a and you can use spec to get closer.
goddard
Trader
Trader

Post by goddard »

yo the "Home" key doesnt do anything, have they moved the match velocity to another key???
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Just checked the bindings section of the config file and yes "Home" and "Home" on the keypad are still bound to

Code: Select all

<bind key="cursor-home" modifier="none" command="SetVelocityRefKey"/>
	<bind key="cursor-end" modifier="none" command="SetVelocityNullKey"/>
	<bind key="keypad-7" modifier="none" command="SetVelocityRefKey"/>
	<bind key="keypad-1" modifier="none" command="SetVelocityNullKey"/>
what is your evidence that it is not working :wink: