White backgrounds.

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
ilikepie
Explorer
Explorer

White backgrounds.

Post by ilikepie »

Recently updated to SVN 12386 from 0.50 on my Windoze installation.

I had to manually download all the files b/c the Tortoise installer decided to be grumpy.

After copying and replacing all the appropriate files it worked fine, albeit a bit unstable. I found out the problem was that somewhere along the line the new Vegastrike.exe file somehow got irreversibly converted into a 1kb .xml file and I was still running the old .exe. So I re-downloaded the .exe and replaced the old one with it. Now everything works fine, it's (ostensibly) stable again, but the skybox textures are blank (white).
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

wow, it's gonna be hard to say what exactly is fubared up because things sound pretty messed up already.

First guess is to remove the .vegastrike directory created by VS when you run it.

My second guess is that you are missing files.

My third guess would be the Win32 VS bin is out of date from the /data.

With win32 prebuilt bins, you can only be assured that they work up to the rev that the win32 bin itself was committed. It could be many weeks until the win32 bin is brought into sync with any updates after it's been committed.
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.
ilikepie
Explorer
Explorer

Post by ilikepie »

Just found out that the mysterious executable-to-xml was just a naming mixup- for whatever reason when I downloaded the .manifest it truncated the name to just "vegastrike.exe" and I forgot to download the executable in the first place.

Noting that, I officially have a dated "manifest" file, I sincerely doubt that could be the problem but it's worth a shot.

Just so we're on the same page (read: so I know I didn't screw up), what I basically did was I downloaded everything in this directory and wrote the downloaded files over their corresponding counterparts in the bin folder(subfolders as well). If that makes any sense.

Thanks for tolerating my newbieness.

EDIT: I'm probably going to need to update my data directory, from the Wiki:
Note: For windows, only the win32 module is necessary to play the game. It will download the "data" directory
Which is probably what wasn't being done, the machine with VS installed is not the machine I use to connect to the internet (long story), thus any automated downloads would not commence.
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

the win32 repo is a new repo setup to make updating via svn for binary (prebuilt) installations easier across OS's.

since everyone shares the same /data , the /data repo has been separated from the /data/bin dir.

Now, you should have something like:
/data
/bin

with /bin having pretty much everything you expect from /data/bin

/data needs to be updated, but it may be a good idea if you're not compiling your own to only update to the revision that your vegastrike binary is. Newer rev /data directories are likely to have changes that would result in issues like you are experiencing.
ilikepie
Explorer
Explorer

Post by ilikepie »

Just replaced all the textures for the backgrounds, that ended up being the problem.

Apparently somewhere along the way you guys switched from bitmaps to a custom format (I don't blame you- BITMAPFILEHEADER, ugh)

Alright, finally got Tortoise working. So what you're saying is, that the win32 directory isn't updated as often as the others? Any idea which subversion works with the latest win32?
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

the win32 bins aren't updated as often as the rest of /data and the VS source is. You should check the last revision date on the bin, either with svn log or via svn browsing on the sourceforge website. The last rev that the bin is should be the rev that it works best with in regards with the rest of /data.

It's not that it wont work with newer revs, but if you're having issues, and you want to play, then you'll have to revert the rest of /data to the rev that the win32 bins are until the new bins are compiled and put up.