Launch inside asteroid fighter base

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
El Bobbo
Hunter
Hunter

Launch inside asteroid fighter base

Post by El Bobbo »

If I save my game docked at an asteroid fighter base, exit vegastrike, and then reload my game in a new session of vegastrike my ship spawns at the center of the base, rather than at the docking port. VS outputs errors of the nature:

Code: Select all

*** Python Warning 74!
Warning Traceback 74:
  File "AsteroidFighterBasenightandolian.py", line 6, in ?
    None
  File "b/military_lib.py", line 8, in MakeMilitaryBase
    dynamic_mission.CreateMissions()
  File "m/dynamic_mission.py", line 757, in CreateMissions
    news.processNews(plr)
  File "m/news.py", line 103, in processNews
    noos = dnewsman_.translateDynamicString(noos)
  File "m/dynamic_news.py", line 304, in translateDynamicString
    keys = self.data.makeNewsKeyList(varlist, self.dockedat_faction, self.getPOV(varlist))
  File "m/dynamic_news.py", line 340, in getPOV
    debug.error("ERROR:  VS is returning -0 for relationship relatagg number")
Message: ERROR:  VS is returning -0 for relationship relatagg number

This seems to be repeatable for me (I tried several different save games). If needed I can post stdout and stderr.

I am running 0.5.0 on linux.
running (I finally got a new computer so I can play VS again!):
ubuntu linux 8.04
AMD Athlon XP 2 GHz
1 GB RAM
GeForce FX 5200
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

You shouldn't be spawning in the middle of a unit.
Which docking port are you referring to? How many red/green boxes are there on a asteroid base?
It's possible that they made one big one and loading sends you to the middle of the docking port/base.

Also, what happens if you save into the Autosave and then load from it again?

As to the "faction relategg number" thing, that's not related, though it likely has to do with faction relations code that I modified recently.
El Bobbo
Hunter
Hunter

Post by El Bobbo »

By docking port I was referring to the red/green boxes. I think there are 4 boxes, and they always show up in a line inside the channel leading into the base.

If I land at an asteroid base and then exit, I spawn at the place where I entered the base (green box) as I should. It is also fine if I load a save game without exiting VS. Only when I quit, start a new session, and load a game is there a problem.

When I spawn at the center of the base, the green boxes are still appearing where they are supposed to be. However I am right at the center of the base.

I am currently in the middle of upgrading to SVN, and don't have VS working. As soon as I get it running again I will see if this still happens in the latest SVN and check what happens with an autosave.
ubuntu linux 8.04
AMD Athlon XP 2 GHz
1 GB RAM
GeForce FX 5200
El Bobbo
Hunter
Hunter

Posted on Bug Tracker

Post by El Bobbo »

I got SVN running today, and found that this bug is still present in SVN 12377 (current as of 6/24 I think). I have posted it to bug tracker here:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.p ... tid=119507

I will look into the autosave thing as soon as I get a chance, but I need to go to bed now...
ubuntu linux 8.04
AMD Athlon XP 2 GHz
1 GB RAM
GeForce FX 5200
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Is it only happening with the asteroid fighter base?

I have a suspicion it has to do with some large open area right in the middle, or for some reason Vega Strike thinks it is a "safe" place to put your ship.

I've never seen this, but I don't dock much with asteroid fighter bases, so it could be specific to that unit.
El Bobbo
Hunter
Hunter

Post by El Bobbo »

Yes, this only happens at asteroid fighter bases, and only if you load a saved game from a new session of vegastrike. I have no problem loading a saved game when docked at any other base. I agree there is likely a problem with the asteroid fighter base unit.
ubuntu linux 8.04
AMD Athlon XP 2 GHz
1 GB RAM
GeForce FX 5200