weird SPEC?

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
lee
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

weird SPEC?

Post by lee »

Set the speed mode to TRAVEL, set a speed of about 2000 and travel across a few systems (like when having a cargo mission), using the autopilot.

Watch the SPEC and speed display while the autopilot is flying the ship, there seems to be something weird going on like the SPEC factor sometimes not kicking in to increase the speed before the ship has slowed down to its default max speed.

BTW, in travel mode, the speed setting is increased a bit too fast. If I hit the key as fast/short as I can, it jumps right up to 3500 or so.
Debian testing
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.08-pkg1.run
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

the jumps in the governor setting are based on percentages of the max speed, otherwise, travel mode becomes rather useless.

I con't understand what you are saying about Spec not kicking in correctly, could you clarify. I would test it out, but I seem to have had a catastrophic hard drive failure :wink: :? :(
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

would test it out, but I seem to have had a catastrophic hard drive failure Wink Confused Sad
Ouch! had that happen a few years ago to me and i recreantly had a BIOS fault during a reboot into a new kernel that borked the boot sector of my XP drive still haven't fixed it (it is fixable)

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
lee
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by lee »

bgaskey wrote: I con't understand what you are saying about Spec not kicking in correctly, could you clarify.
I'm not sure what's going on. It happens only sometimes, for a short time. The autopilot always uses the default max speed of the ship. Once you turn the AP on, it always turns on SPEC. But it seems that even with SPEC turned on and a SPEC factor >1, the ship doesn't go faster from SPEC before it's "real" speed isn't greater than the default max speed. What you would see is a ship speed displayed together with a SPEC factor, but the speed displayed is lower than it would if the SPEC factor would actually be factored in.

I can try to take a screenshot ...

I would test it out, but I seem to have had a catastrophic hard drive failure :wink: :? :(
Uh, I hope you got backups!
the jumps in the governor setting are based on percentages of the max speed, otherwise, travel mode becomes rather useless.
Like in percentages of 300?

A long time ago I mentioned here that the speed setting goes up and down too slow. That has been fixed, but now it's going too fast :) I mean, try to set it to maybe 1500: You have to fumble with increasing and decreasing it to get it close to what you want.

My suggestion was to make it so that you could just enter the speed you want: Press a key to shift to "input mode", enter the numbers and press enter to set it. It's very much like the chat key --- maybe the chat can be used for that. You would enter "/1500" or "/trvl 1500" in the chat to set the speed to 1500.

Maybe it can be done in custom.py, like the inflight saving and loading?
Debian testing
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

Maybe its because the SPEC only accelerates your motion in the direction your ship is pointing, and if the Autopilot has just turned, it takes a second for your regular thrusters to build up a vector parallel to your ship for the spec to act on. :wink:
lee
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by lee »

That would be a good explanation!

Here's what I mean: With SPEC enabled, the HUD-speed is 536, SPEC factor is about 1.8 million. With SPEC disabled, HUD-speed is about the same (556).

That means that SPEC is enabled but "doesn't work". And it's directional.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Debian testing
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

Ya that would be the exact effect if you were drifting backwards or just turning sharply when the spec was activated. :wink:
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

also, you have to realize that spec and autopilot are two _different_ things.

in the second image, you have autopilot enabled, not just spec, so SPEC isn't going to behave the way it did in 0.4.x. To enable _just_ SPEC, you have to do shift + a i believe. Check your config file if that's wrong.

Autopilot will not allow you to steer while engaged and functional. It will only spec in the direction that it believes will result in the fastest transit time to your target.

In any case, you want a low regular velocity to minimize the overshoot caused by course corrections while in spec.
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.
lee
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by lee »

Yes, in one of the pictures autopilot and spec are turned off to show the "real" speed.

Meanwhile, I found the autopilot in the source. I made it so that the autopilot doesn't accelerate the ship to a higher speed than the set speed.

It makes flying with the autopilot slower if you set the speed lower than the max speed of the vessel, but it helps with the problem of overshooting the target.

What I haven't found out is how to make the autopilot use a higher speed than the max speed of the vessel if the player sets it (in travel mode).

I'm still trying to get a good idea what to do about the turning off early ...
Debian testing