SVN 12364 - VS disobeys and overwrites vegastrike.config

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

SVN 12364 - VS disobeys and overwrites vegastrike.config

Post by Miramor »

As of the current SVN, Vega Strike seems to be trying to configure itself - every time it is started, it restores vegastrike.config to its default state, overwriting the changes imposed by vssetup or manual editing. Unfortunately, there's no way to configure the file from within Vega Strike, so this is a very bad state of affairs; especially given that performance issues require manual editing of vegastrike.config on some systems.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

You're sure about that?

I don't think vegastrike actually has code that can write out the configuration file. That's been a requested feature for a while.

However, if your system clock is wrong, vssetup may actually overwrite your config file with the default. Basically, that happens just in case there is an updated file in SVN.

If you want to try working around this, you can always save a backup of the default configuration file in the data directory, and make your changes there (and also remove the one in your home .vegastrike)
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

Thanks... It's probably that my system clock is screwed up (courtesy of an experimental install CD). It should be less than half a minute off though. Weird.
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

if the time stamp of the home dir config file is not allowed to be created correctly (newer than the default's time stamp) then it would see that the default config has been updated with some new option, invalidating the home dir one. This would also ring true if you had read only permissions and weren't able to write to the home dir, or if you have been hand editing the default config.
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

Yeah, I'd been manually editing the default config. You're saying that if I do that, the default config will be overwritten, undoing my changes?

(That's what happened... Change default config, open VS, quit VS, open config, find my changes undone.)