no nav ights on llama

Find any bugs in Vega Strike? See if someone has already found it, or report them here!
whatch1
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

no nav ights on llama

Post by whatch1 »

just small white squared these used to blink i think
Machine: P4 prescott 3.2 Ghz, 2Gb ddr ram, 2 80g seagate sata drives in raiad stripe config nvidia 6600 gt oc card sidwinder pro FF2
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Pyramid was working on making sure all the texture files were named with the correct extensions.
I suppose some of the animations are still referencing the old texture names.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Haven't touched the largest part of animations yet except splash screens and sun flares. Blinking lights should be working as before. If not, there might be some data corruption from your side. You can scan your stderr for any "file not found" messages. Post here if you find anything.

EDIT:
Booh. After recompiling the latest svn I can reproduce the error of blinking lights showing as white rectangles (means texture not found), so I can only assume that it comes from the latest code changes after SVN revision 12323. It might be safemode's vsconfig includes or ace123's faction relations. The problem points to animations that are related to unit meshes but remains to be analyzed.
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

all i did was add "#include "config.h" which includes the config.h that autoconf produces ...this wouldn't hurt anything, as that file just makes some defines.
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

Apparently we still have some extremely small images as dds files in data.

all the black.png files in the animations dirs needs to be png.

But that's not the couse of the issue. Something wasn't changed in the name changing or something got clobbered in the code looking for the new names because none of the ship animations are finding their textures. this is what you get when you dont have a texture, white block.
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

This has probably been occuring for a while now. It's probably related to my "relative retrieval" updates so that we search our available root paths looking for the file with the relative path to /data ...rather than absolute paths to where we find the .ani

The issue is in animations, we include the texture inside the dir we find the .ani. For some reason, flare's dont work this way. perhaps i need to add a check and if the file isn't in the current dir path, to try /textures/filename

i should have a fix tonight, if this is the cause.

Edit:

Stupid one line fix. :( Can't believe nobody noticed the bug until now. No idea how i missed it.

In any case, still strange about how flare's aren't in their directory, guess they're cross-referenced.

Also, if you have an nvidia card, use the latest drivers 173.14.05...for linux anyway. Game looks quite nice with correctly behaving atmo now and blinkin lights and what not :)
SymbolicFrank
Explorer
Explorer

Post by SymbolicFrank »

Can we fix it ourselves? It's rather immersion breaking as it is. I checked out the latest Win32 versions (binary + data), but it's still broken.

I tried putting the right files (.bmp, .image AND .texture, to make sure) in the animation dirs, but that doesn't work.
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

new bins haven't been built against the fix in svn, which is already there. 1 liner. You can't fix it by shuffling the data dir around in the mean time. The names of those particular files are really messed up, and they depend on the last special file loaded (unit, sprite,animation). It's not the actual filename that is mangled, but the path to it.

In VS we have some special files that are basically scripts with lists of textures in them. We treat these files special since they are listed without a path, we assume they are loaded relatively to the special file we loaded. Now what we do is save the path to that special script to a variable, and then subsequent textures are loaded using that path. Now, what was happening was the previous path to the last special file loaded was being used as the path to textures currently being loaded because the extra variable was being assigned part of the path that it shouldn't have been and it was being done at the wrong time. Big no no. So we get a new filename each time we get a unit that references these lights because it's using a different path each time to reference it. Even if you fixed up /data to work with the first instance (llama), it'll be broken when another unit references those textures. you'd have to "fix" it for each unit, and it would be totally dependent on the order in which the units are loaded :)

The best you can do right now is hope for someone in win32 land to build you a new bin soon
SymbolicFrank
Explorer
Explorer

Post by SymbolicFrank »

Thanks, I get it. I think I'll build one this weekend. I might even be tempted to make an installer as well, because currently checking it out of SVN is totally not obvious or broken.
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

there's nothing to checking out the "binary" repo in svn. you svn co win32 then run vs without moving anything.

If you want to build svn and then use it with your svn pull of the win32 repo (which has /data), then just copy your build directory to win32/build it'll work just like if it was in /bin plus when you svn update, it wont conflict with anything.

this is assuming in VC++ you build to a new directory, not build inside the source tree. Oh, and you'll want to copy over the same libs in /bin, only using the ones you built VS with, over to your new win32/build directory.
SymbolicFrank
Explorer
Explorer

Post by SymbolicFrank »

I build a new exe (attached) and it works (I forgot how long building a large C++ project takes...), I only forgot to include the icon. But building vssetup (probably not needed) and vsserver generates a few errors.

I first installed the 0.5.0 setup, and tried to update that with TortoiseSVN, which only downloaded the bin directory after I deleted that. And when I tried to add the data repro, it deleted the bin directory.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

You can't use the pkg and svn update it. svn doesn't work that way.

you have to start out with an svn pull of win32, then you can update that and be kept up to date with /data and builds of win32 bins as we make them. If you're gonna build your own, you'd svn co the vegastrike repo (like maybe you did), and build vegastrike in an external directory. Then stick it and all the libs it needs into a directory in your win32 repo. SVN wont bother that directory, and you can use it to test your builds against the/data dir that comes with the win32 repo.
SymbolicFrank
Explorer
Explorer

Post by SymbolicFrank »

I followed the instructions, got vegastrike and vc8, created the win32/bin dir and build it. I didn't add any other libs. (Should I?) It works when I drop it in the bin directory from the (manually updated) SVN build.

Btw, that executable in SVN is really old!
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

it's only 3 weeks old. perhaps you're supplying some revision or messing up the checkout command.

when you do a fresh checkout of win32, it should show a vegastrike that is only 3 weeks old.
SymbolicFrank
Explorer
Explorer

Post by SymbolicFrank »

Ah, sorry.

It is just, that this version includes the shaders and tutorial, and that it looks like the missions are adjusted as well. The visible difference is quite big. It feels like a quite different version.

Btw, the autopilot and docking broke during my last mission, but that could be because I had caps-lock on, or I didn't include the right libraries.
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

probably caps lock. Docking and such is a little different as you dont need to request clearance i believe.

maybe someone else can chime in, i barely get around to playing the game lately.